Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,465   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Hasselblad Acute Matte 42165 Screen

I have just purchased what I thought was a used Hasselblad Acute Matte 42165 focusing screen. There are no identifying marks on it and it looks identical to the screen in my 500 El/M. Is there a way to tell if this is an Acute Matte screen? I can see no difference in the brightness of either screen and I am wondering if this a regular screen in an Acute Matte box. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You should see a marked difference in the brightness through a regular screen and an acute matte screen. It made a huge difference when I bought one for my Hassie. But other than brightness I am not aware of any way to tell the difference.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There's usually two small D-shaped cutouts on the frame on an Acute Matte - there's a picture in the Hasselblad section of Karen Nakaumra's site

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    There's usually two small D-shaped cutouts on the frame on an Acute Matte - there's a picture in the Hasselblad section of Karen Nakaumra's site
    Uh ... aren't those "tabs" in the camera body itself - to hold the screen in place?

I'm holding an "Accumatte" screen in my hand at the moment. I can't see any easy way to tell the difference.

One thing I know - the Accumatte is of a two piece construction - a ground glass and fresnel lens combination. I found that out after using a lens cleaning liquid (distilled water) which migrated between the two. Took about two weeks to dissipate through capillary action. I suppose one COULD 'unbend' the retaining tabs - (four - centered in each side) and disassemble the screen - something I've never tried - considering how much these puppies cost. Come to think of it .... that might be the distinguishing part: four bent retaining tabs in the center bottom of each side.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ed:

The notches are on the metal frame of the screen itself at the lower bottom right; hard to see but on the side of the screen glass - not the clips on the left and right that hold the screen in place

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well - I have both the 42160 and the 42170 Focusing Screens - Accu-Matte, (the 42170 has the grid and split-image rangefinder) and neither have anything like "notches at the lower bottom right" - in fact I can't even tell where "lower bottom right" is. They are, most assuredly, difficult to see ... I haven't yet found them.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've scanned my Accu-Matte 42170 Screen- placed it on the scanner, bottom down. Can you see where the notches are? - or if I have the correct orientation?
    Last edited by Ed Sukach; 07-27-2007 at 08:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach View Post
    I've scanned my Accu-Matte 42170 Screen- placed it on the scanner, bottom down. Can you see where the notches are? - or if I have the correct orientation?
    that's upside down - the notches will be on the other side if they're present. I'm not sure exactly when the Acute Matte screens started being marked in this way, from memory it was some time in the last 20 years. So if you've got a AM screen without the notches, there's a fair chance it's older than that...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No "notches" on the other sides either. I've tried to access the image you write about on Karen Nakamura's site, but I can't find it. could you be more specific about its location?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ed.. Karen's sit is great, but it's not too easy to navigate if you don't know where you're going! Try this:

Go to: http://www.photoethnography.com/
    Select: Equipment
    Select: My Classic Camera Collection, more...
    Scroll way down to the bottom and Select from "Professional Level Cameras": Hassleblad 500 c/m
    Scroll down to the second picture.

Observe on the lower right corner of the focussing screen the two notches on the metal bezel of the accumatte.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin