Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,723   Online: 843

Shooter
    Medium Format

Brooks Veriwide XL Back Options?

I have and occasionally use a Brooks Veriwide, the more modern kind with removeable back.
    It stays home a lot because the enormous back forces me to use a large Pelican case, and that means little else will fit in my backpack...
    The camera is based, as I understand, on the Graflex XL and should use the same backs. I have no experience with Graflex, so-
    I'm wondering what options are out there for a more compact 6x9 back. I'd even consider using sheet film in the interests of bulk control, since I seldom shoot more than a handful of frames.
    So what is out there and exactly which pieces would I have to buy? Do I need a back adapter of some kind?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have 2 6x9 backs but use mostly the polaroid back as long as my 665 stock last. I have the graflock type viewing back for 6x9 sheet but never used it. You need that and film holders. Pm me if interested but I don't have any holder.
    On the other hand a graflex 6x7 rollfilm back make it a really compact (relatively speaking...) camera.
    Best,
    Guillaume

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Guillaume-
    Does the viewing back mate with the 4 pin mount on the back of the body? Or would I also need an adapter of some kind?
    I guess the viewing back allows sheet film holders to be slipped under its G.G. to expose?
    And would the setup be significantly smaller than with the factory back?
    Sorry about the dumbish questions, but I have no sheet film experience at all, no L.F. experience, and have never looked at a Graflex XL in the flesh.
    Either way, I'm just exploring options at this point. Looking around, it seems very little 2x3 sheet film is still available, so to get HP5 or FP4 sheets would I have to cut 4x5 sheets down myself?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryce Parker View Post
    Guillaume-
    Does the viewing back mate with the 4 pin mount on the back of the body? Or would I also need an adapter of some kind?
    I guess the viewing back allows sheet film holders to be slipped under its G.G. to expose?
    And would the setup be significantly smaller than with the factory back?
    Sorry about the dumbish questions, but I have no sheet film experience at all, no L.F. experience, and have never looked at a Graflex XL in the flesh.
    Either way, I'm just exploring options at this point. Looking around, it seems very little 2x3 sheet film is still available, so to get HP5 or FP4 sheets would I have to cut 4x5 sheets down myself?
    Dear Bryce,

I think you'll find that surprisingly many manufacturers (including Ilford, last time I looked) offer one or more of 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 or 2-1/2 x 3-1/2 inch or 6x9cm, all of which fit in holders with the same external dimensions.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes it mates with the 4 pins. This is the most compact setup and with the depth of field, stopped down you don't really need to focus, frame and have the tripod... Luxurious point and shoot !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you don't find the sheet holders (that might be the issue) you should consider a graflex 6x7 back. Compact and cheap. My advice, whatever back you use is to put some gaffer tape on the top as light leak is a common problem with that camera. Otherwise it's so great.
    Best,
    Guillaume

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Guillaume,

I have been playing with Graflex 2x3 cameras and Graflex XL cameras the last couple of months. What you need to shoot sheet film with very little hassle is a 2x3 Grafmatic back. These film backs allow you to load six sheets of sheet film into one holder. They are very easy to use and will attach to your camera using the mini graflock back on your camera. Heres the Graflex part #
    (Cat# 1266 Graphic "23" Grafmatic Film Holder) You can find these on Ebay all the time in a price range anywhere from $15-$40. If your going to shoot sheet film especially in a point and shoot way this is the way to go.

Jamie
    Keep Film Alive, Shoot Everyday!
    JamiesInfraredPhotography.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin