Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,087   Online: 987

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't mind cropping. It's just that I'd like sometimes to have the entire frame with no cropping on a 8x10.

Craig

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Dear Lee,

In my book, that makes H C-B a dirty word.

Cheers,

R.
    Mine too. Kinda. Sorta. Well...ah, shit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
    I crop most of the time, but it would be nice to compose properly & not crop.

Craig
    Slavishly following the proportions of the camera you happen to be using at the time is not "composing properly". The world isn't 'designed' always to look best in any given shape frame!

For me, making the best picture in a given shape - ie. fully using the dimensions of a given format - is a good training exercise and a useful skill when shooting to a brief, but the real artist gets beyond that. The point is, surely, to decide what shape best fits the subject at hand, when making the exposure, and crop accordingly, if required.

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by t_nunn View Post
    I have both a Mamiya 645 and a Mamiya RB67 (I love 'em both). You're going to need to do some cropping regardless of which format you choose if you want an exact 8x10 print.
    Greetings,

I'm also a fellow Mamiya 645 user (ProTL), and thinking about adding an RB to my outfit. I was wondering if you think having both systems is worthwhile, or if one or the other would do just fine. In your experience, is the 67 a real jump in quality over the 645?

Thanks,
    Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I first got the RB67, I honestly thought of selling my 645 kit because I didn't think I'd use it anymore. Well, I was wrong. There are times when the actual size of the 645 makes it more practical than the RB67. And then sometimes I just want to shoot the 645 just because I like it :-)

That being said, I do use the RB67 most of the time. I like the bigger negative and I like the ability to change backs in mid roll (the 645 1000s doesn't have that ability).

As far as quality goes, I think both are top notch so that shouldn't be a concern.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeklensch View Post
    Greetings,

I'm also a fellow Mamiya 645 user (ProTL), and thinking about adding an RB to my outfit. I was wondering if you think having both systems is worthwhile, or if one or the other would do just fine. In your experience, is the 67 a real jump in quality over the 645?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Dear Mike,

I had both and found the bigger neg MUCH more useful/attractive. Since then, the only non-67 formats I use much are 66x44 (Alpa/Biogon -- and even that is significantly bigger than 56x43), 6x6 (various) and the occasional 6x9 or 6x12. I prefer 35mm to 645 if I want a small format...

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Travis. I have both 645 Pro and RZ67. THe 67 is an ideal tripod camera with the revolving back. (I do like the larger negs like Roger). The 645 is better suited to situations when you cannot use a tripod and must shoot handheld. With a motor drive, it looks a bit like a 35mm on steroids.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got a Bronica 645 and not a Mamiya but I'm sure my answer would be the same.

I love my 645. I can stick the metering prism on, a motor drive and my heaviest flash and it's still a handheld camera. My RZ67 is a tripod only camera. Great for that but I can't see myself using it hand held.

A camera I'm willing to use is always better then a heavier camera I won't

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    A camera I'm willing to use is always better then a heavier camera I won't.
    Absolutely -- which is why I no longer have an RB67, but Alpa and Graflex XL for hand-held and a Linhof special (stripped down T70 with no RF and extra front rise) for tripods.

I do keep wondering about another Tech 70 though...

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Absolutely -- which is why I no longer have an RB67, but Alpa and Graflex XL for hand-held and a Linhof special (stripped down T70 with no RF and extra front rise) for tripods.

I do keep wondering about another Tech 70 though...

Cheers,

R.
    How about a Mamiya 6x9 press camera? I use a Mamiya RZ67 for studio portraiture and I have a Plaubel Makina 670 if I want bigger than 35mm but want to travel light. The downside of the latter is a fixed non-interchangeable lens.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin