Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,386   Online: 1060

Shooter
    35mm

ikonta 521/16- my first one

Well, I took a few minutes on the search feature to look for any postings on this one and have spent a couple of hours with google and have some questions answered. But, there remains a few unanswered ones.
    The camera in question is a model 521/16 with a Novar 7.5 with serial # E81235. I don't know how to identify the shutter type, it is numbered from 3.5 to 16 with a red dot placed next to the number 11.
    And that would be the first question. Browsing thru the old adverts on a Zeiss collector website I am assuming that it may be a Compur 00 but I did not find a clear illustration for comparison. The only other question would be date of production based on the serial number. Would that be possible? My foray into the film photography hobby is now just almost at the first year mark beginning with a Yashica TL Electro X. All my finds have been at second hand stores or estate sales and auctions.

My purchase price for this ikonta was $35.00 US ( the only other thing of note I got in that box of photography stuff was a flash attachment for my Argus C3)at this estate sale. I am assuming that the deceased was stationed in Europe with the military at some point in time and acquired it then. My thanks to the people who maintain this site and you can expect a subscription soon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What is the speed range of the shutter? A small Compur will be speeded 1 sec. to at least 1/250 or 1/300, a Compur-Rapid same but up to 1/500. Any shutter with a range of less than this, say 1/10 to 1/125, is likely to be a Gauthier (Pronto, Prontor, etc.). I am surprised that there is no name on the front face of the shutter - can you post a picture?

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I "think" I used to have the identical camera a couple years ago. Mine was the c. 1947 model, and if it didn't have a Compur, it had a Prontor shutter. Good little 6x6, but I always liked 6x9 more. If its in good shape $35 is an excellent price.
    Enjoy!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinAlaska View Post
    The camera in question is a model 521/16 with a Novar 7.5 with serial # E81235. I don't know how to identify the shutter type, it is numbered from 3.5 to 16 with a red dot placed next to the number 11.

Hi Steve, and welcome.

I have one of these, but at home. I can check serial number other info then. I know mine was purchased new in 1947.
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    What is the speed range of the shutter? A small Compur will be speeded 1 sec. to at least 1/250 or 1/300, a Compur-Rapid same but up to 1/500. Any shutter with a range of less than this, say 1/10 to 1/125, is likely to be a Gauthier (Pronto, Prontor, etc.). I am surprised that there is no name on the front face of the shutter - can you post a picture?

Regards,

David
    Well,after a friend stopped by and pointed out the TINY numbers that I overlooked (!), the camera has a small Compur that goes 1 sec. to 1/300. Thanks again for your help. If anything ,it looks really good setting on top of the 1959 Grundig 6099 radio set in the front room. After my computer techie teachs me, I'll download a photo of that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mine has a Prontor shutter (AGC logo on right side of the shutter, when facing the camera), 1 to 1/250, plus bulb. I don't know how to date it from the serial number. The shutter recently got stuck, and Carol Flutot did a great job fixing things up.
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ikonta's lens although a triplet, a Novar 3,5/75 is not a bad performer if stopped down a little. It was made for Zeiss by Schneider-Kreuznach - a fact Zeiss didn't advertise being an adversary.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin