Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,779   Online: 1136

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If the declared value including shipping is less than about 25 USD customs do not interfere. It depends on the exchange rate.

Over 25 USD there is import duty at 3-6 % for photographic equipment over the purchase price with shipping and an additional 17,5 for imports into the U.K.

The carrier may add a handling charge as extra off course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Duty is waived if the amount of duty payable is under £7 and there is no VAT if the total is under £18. In practice, I have gone some way over the VAT threshold in the past (to about £25) without Customs taking any interest.

Customs duty depends on the item. Lenses are high at 6.7% (35mm SLRs are 4.9% and DSLRs get in free of duty... Grrrrrrrrrrr!). VAT and duty are payable on used goods in the same way as for new. The only differences come in if the goods are gifts, in which case the rules change and VAT & duty can usually be avoided.

In this case in would seem that no duty would be payable on a lens until you hit £104.48p inc postage & insurance etc, but VAT would still be payable.

Cheers, Bob.
    Last edited by Bob F.; 04-24-2007 at 08:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My experience suggests that you factor in +25% on the purchase price, but expect the occasional surprise when C&E think the value is mis-stated on the declaration and make their own higher one.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    It can be luck of the draw, sometimes the Customs will not charge for items that are well over the point where charges are theoretically payable (about £18). It may be with the volume of goods coming in some kind of spot-checking system is used.

But I had a case where I bought an item under this amount from the US and the seller didn't understand the necessity of putting a large dot or dash between the dollars & the cents on the declaration label. So the Customs assumed it was all dollars and levied a charge and Royal Mail wanted their fee too. It took a struggle to get the seller to confirm his error and I had to post emails and order details to Customs but eventually all the charges were lifted and I got the goods.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin