Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,459   Online: 1149

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lens imports USA to UK

Have bought a Bronica lens on Ebay from USA and UPS tried to deliver yesterday but I was out of the house. The note left by the delivery person says £18.23 payment is due on delivery. This is on top of postage already paid.
    I guess this is a customs duty payment (something I had forgotten about living and trading in the EU) and the question is how is this payment calculated on secondhand camera equipment imported from the USA so that I can factor this in when bidding in the future? Two dollars to the pound makes USA prices seem very yummy!
    Cheers
    Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chorleyjeff View Post
    Have bought a Bronica lens on Ebay from USA and UPS tried to deliver yesterday but I was out of the house. The note left by the delivery person says £18.23 payment is due on delivery. This is on top of postage already paid.
    I guess this is a customs duty payment (something I had forgotten about living and trading in the EU) and the question is how is this payment calculated on secondhand camera equipment imported from the USA so that I can factor this in when bidding in the future? Two dollars to the pound makes USA prices seem very yummy!
    Cheers
    Jeff
    I have just had the same experience. The charge is VAT added on the $ price stated on the export label plus an £8.00 handling fee by the Post Office

Cheers

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by chorleyjeff View Post
    Cheers
    Jeff
    Vat @ 17.5% plus import duty of (I think -- it's a long time since I did this) 8-10 percent on the declared value on the package. Often there's a courier handling charge too, typically as much as GBP 10.

Courier companies usually (but not always) make these charges; the Post Office often doesn't bother if they're small, and doesn't (or at least, used not to) impose a handling charge.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roger

I was told by the PO that the PO now charge an £8.00 handling fee on goods where they have to retreive the VAT for the Custom Office. No import duties were charged but VAT was calculated on the $ amount stated on the ticket

Ticket stated $80 , VAT was £7.15 (17.5% of (£40 odd pounds)

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Quote Originally Posted by philldresser View Post
    Roger

I was told by the PO that the PO now charge an £8.00 handling fee on goods where they have to retreive the VAT for the Custom Office. No import duties were charged but VAT was calculated on the $ amount stated on the ticket

Ticket stated $80 , VAT was £7.15 (17.5% of (£40 odd pounds)

Phill
    Blimey that was quick!
    Thanks for the very helpful info.
    Cheers
    Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On second-hand equipment I've usually been charged 3% import duty and VAT, this is all payable on the cost of the item including the shipping.

The surprise is we get taxed on the shipping too, and as the taxes are cumulative it works out more like 22%.

Having said that I've bought quite a few lenses from the US & Canada and have paid no import duty on any of them, the two 10x8 cameras though were taxed.

Even with the tax though it is still far cheaper to buy from the US.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by philldresser View Post
    I was told by the PO that the PO now charge an £8.00 handling fee on goods where they have to retreive the VAT for the Custom Office.
    Dear Phill,

Ah, yes... Hence my arse-covering 'used not to'.

But I thought it better to post an imperfect answer, because (a) it's better than nothing and (b) someone woukd soon correct me...

The import duty does seem to be somewhat randomly applied.

Thanks,

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    AFAIK there will be no import duty/tax or VAT charged if

01. the item is used
    02. the item has been purchased from a private individual
    03. the buyer is a private individual

However, if you purchase anything from a dealer in the US (commercial), you have to pay

01. import duty
    02. VAT based on product value plus shipping costs plus import duty
    Don't dream your life - live your dream.
    I'm using FILM because nature isn't made of squares.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Entirely wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!

No EU duty has ever been paid -- So you pay it.

Customs don't care who you buy from business or private individual, and you don't just pay VAT you also pay import duty which starts at 3%, it can add up to 22% plus. Oh and I forgot you also pay tax on the postage/carriage.

Having said that I've only really been made to pay full tax on 2 items, both 10"x8" cameras, and I buy nearly everything from the US, and import to the UK.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    No EU duty has ever been paid -- So you pay it.

Customs don't care who you buy from business or private individual, and you don't just pay VAT you also pay import duty which starts at 3%, it can add up to 22% plus. Oh and I forgot you also pay tax on the postage/carriage.
    This is true, I checked with customs a while back.

Ordering stuff from KEH and importing to UK I normally get hit with an extra 20%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin