Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,523   Posts: 1,543,813   Online: 764

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Bronica ETRsi and 220 film back query

I finally got some 220 film to try out the 220 film back that I'd purchased for my "new to me" Bronica ETRsi.

I found out the hard way that, unlike the 120 film backs I have, I was able to shoot off a roll of 220 with the dark slide still inserted! With the 120 backs, even if you advance the film - if the d/s is inserted you cannot fire the shutter. Quite helpful for "newbies" already baffled by the gear.

Does anyone know if I just have a defective back - or is this a strange "feature" of Bronica 220 filmbacks?

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm assuming that the 645 works like the 6x6 in this respect, but if so this shouldn't happen and its a fault not a quirk. It should work like your 120 back and indeed the 220 insert should work in the 120 back you have with the darkslide serving to lock the shutter . It would be normal to be able to fire the shutter with the darkslide pulled out just a little.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think that it is possible to insert the dark slide rotated 180 degrees so that it does not engage the shutter lock. Try rotating your dark slide and see if it will insert just a bit more and engage the saftey lock.

Wayne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    George

If you take a look at the Bronica Tips page (below) it explains the interlocking mechanism for Bronica film backs.

http://www.camerahobby.com/Photo-Bronica_Tips.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am pretty sure it's a defect, and not only with your 220 back. I have two 120 backs, and with one of them (or maybe both?) I have been able to inadvertently trip the shutter on two ocassions with the dark slide still in - and the dark slide was in the right way, not rotated 180 degrees. On both ocassions I detected the problem before it was too late. I have not been able to intentionally trip the shutter with the dark slide when I tried later on.

BTW, I am referring to the SQ-A, which is what I have.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks all. I'm inclined to think its a defect too - as it happened twice (with the same roll). The first time I did think I had inserted the dark slide 180 degrees so I made sure not to do so afterwards.

Of course, it also means I had two mind farts; since I twice failed to remember to remove the d-s!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There arer ETRS and ETRSi backs out there. One, the ETRSi apparently has the interlock feature and the ETRS back does not.

I got a used ETRS back recently by mistake (advertized as ETRSi back) and complained. They refunded the entire cost and let me keep it. (Calumet)

You can distinguish the two by the small interlock pin on the back which is either present or absent depending on model.

So, it works, just gotta keep an eye on it.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin