Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,526   Posts: 1,572,360   Online: 1046

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Amongst the cornfields & rednecks of central Indiana
    BTW, Ed, I picked up a couple of years ago a "PC socket wrench/cleaner". I keep it in my bag, and right before every shoot, I clean the sockets on my lenses to be sure that atmospheric corrosion doesn't affect anything...

Though PC stands for Prontor/Compur, it should stand for pretty crappy...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Johnny V @ Apr 17 2003, 07:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I&#39;m glad someone else thinks this is thread has turned into bull-crap&#33; I have never been personally attacked in any forum that I have posted too...until joining this forum.

</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    I was trying to make the point that you were NOT under personal attack. What was written was just the manifestation of a passionate affection for a certain camera.

I have been on *numerous* other forums... and some of the slightest deviations from the accepted "norms" (I do *NOT* pay homage to "Camera Club Judges") have brought the roof down on me.

I have even been threatened physically -- "I&#39;m going to drive up to Ipswch and beat the crap out of you..", for suggesting that there are no concrete "rules" for judging the merit of photography - or any Art - that make any sense.

I didn&#39;t take those comments as a PERSONAL assault ... only a passionate expression of opinion.

The emotions we feel in photography... whatever they are ... In my most humble opinion ... are certainly NOT "bullcrap".
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    can we just let this go, or maybe take it off line.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow, I'm new to this forum (actually pretty new to APUG) and Eric's right. Let it go! I landed here on this forum b/c I'm a Hasselblad shooter (I really like my Hasselblad a lot) but have been thinking about trying an RZ. Why, you might wonder, especially since there might be a lot of dust in your eyes from having just left the combat zone in the last few pages. Because: A. Format. I love squares. I love rectangles too. And B. Lens differences. All glass is different. And C. The RZ is relatively cheap.

I was talking to someone last night at the Griffin Museum, a guy who prints for Palm Press, who said it like this. On the scale of romantic to scientific, Rolleiflex is the most romantic, Mamiya's in the middle, and Hassies are the most scientific. As an English teacher, I'd say it's a range from poetic (the Rolleiflex) to prosaic (the Hasselblad). But here's the thing: there are prose poems. So, the real deal is, it just depends on what you are shooting and what effect you want.

Some people like one camera, one lens, and they stay there forever and do great work. Cool. My ADD and inability to commit prevent that; I like to try new things. Right now I'm on a Hasselblad tear. I'm thinking of selling my Leica. I'm dying to get an X-pan. You just have to find what works for you. That's all.

As for equipment problems, well, stuff happens with just about every kind of camera, but probably we all have certain systems that work better for us, just like Mac works better for some people (and how PC works better for others is beyond me, but it does).

Sorry this is long but I think the basic topic is interesting, just that there's been some digression.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You guys are acting like the digerati. Anyone want to debate the merits of Nikon and Canon?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Rennard View Post
    Wow, I'm new to this forum (actually pretty new to APUG) and Eric's right. Let it go! I...
    According to what I see on my computer, nobody has posted to this thread in over 5 years until today so I think they did let it go.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    According to what I see on my computer, nobody has posted to this thread in over 5 years until today so I think they did let it go.
    I agree... if you want a pissin' contest, start a new one.

*L*

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Basically, they have everything you would expect from a pro camera, including many of the advantages of a large format system, in terms of system-building ability to suit a wide variety of tasks.

First of all, they are a fully modular SLR. Thus, they are incredibly versatile. They are a sensibly designed camera made as a total system, and have certain advantages over a Hassy system (while the Hassy also has several advantages of its own over the Mamiya, most notably smaller size, faster lenses, greater backwards compatibility, a more simple design, and arguably better build quality and reliability.).

Due to the "ideal" format, the image quality is "technically" higher than a Hassy at the same print size, due to the fact that the RB neg doesn't need to be blown up as much.

They are a bellows camera, and have the advantages thereof (just like the C-series TLRs), just like large format.

They don't need to be rotated to change between horizontal and vertical orientations, just like large format.

They use largely interchangeable components back over 30 years, just like large format.

They are easily accessorizable and customizable, just like large format.

They synch with electronic flash at all shutter speeds, just like large format.

...and they are cheap...especially now, just like large format.

BTW, an RZ is not necessary. An RB will be much cheaper and nearly as good, although older.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-07-2008 at 09:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Due to the "ideal" format, the image quality is "technically" higher than a Hassy at the same print size, due to the fact that the RB neg doesn't need to be blown up as much....
    Hi 2F/2F: "Ideal" format is 6 x 7, Hassy is 6 x 6; not that different in image size to make much difference in quality. Also, the 6 x 6 contains more image than a 6 x 7. For a 6 x 7 camera to include all that is in a 6 x 6, it would need to be a 7 x 7. (Reference; "Picture Making With The Reflex" by H.S. Newcombe, page 24, "The Square Shape") Howard Tanger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought a hasselblad 500c/m a few months back, so I can't say I'm overly experienced with it. However, after some pretty heavy use, I'm very very happy with it! The lenses are excellent, and the camera is superb. I had the following problems:
    - Loaded the first roll of film backwards. Oops.
    - Jammed the camera twice. Both were for the same reason; shooting with a cable release and the dark-slide in. The jam is easily fixed a flat head screw driver.

One jam was a major bummer tho. I was in the middle of a 30km hike through some very beautiful and mountainous terrain. As such I had to lug the camera, three lenses and tripod for another 15 odd km without the benefit of taking some nice pictures! Oh well, it was entirely my fault and, as I said, easily fixed if I had thought to bring a screw driver on the trip.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin