Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,724   Online: 815

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

I have noticed that the Mamiya RZ (and RZII) appears to be the camera of choice among many magazine and fashion photographers. Anybody know why it would be more popular than other MF cameras?

Images
    The RZ and RB totally kick booty. The 6x7 film size combined with their excellent line of lenses are a winning combo.
    hi!

Probably because they are so expensive in the States ;-).

They are not that popular in at least Germany and the Netherlands (don't know about the rest of Europe). Hasselblad is more in use here.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    They're solid and have good lenses, use a convenient format for many purposes, and it's easy to rent lenses for them in large cities. I think the RB also really captured the market early on for photographers who may have been accustomed to the Graflex RB SLR, and wanted similar frame proportions and operation using rollfilm in a smaller, more compact package.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Ok, ok..don't kill me here...but I had the Bronica GS-1. OMG!!!! It was the BEST!!! Sooo much lighter than the tanker Mamiya's...tack sharp lenses..flash sync at any spd..with any lens (don't have to do the pricier LS)..many, many accesories, their 110 macro is outta this world. I did wish it had a rotating back, but that was it. To me the trade off for weight/ rotating back, heck, no comparison. I loved that camera! Actually if I could get another reasonable like, boy I would jump on it. In a sec!

Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners. Laurence Sterne 1713-1768, British Author

You sold me! Now where, in your experience would be the best place to get an RZ Pro II--new or used?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    New MAC equipment is 'Fair Trade' priced so it's generally advertised at the same price by all of the authorized dealers ... try B&H or Calmet and you might get one for a few pennies less.

KEH in Atl always has RZ eq in stock on the used side ... welcome to da club!

BC
    ... BC was here!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you don't absolutely need a U.S. warrantee, check out www.robertwhite.co.uk, which often has much better prices on Mamiya, Toyo, Gitzo and a few other brands than U.S. dealers.

The price difference is often significant enough to justify the possible cost of shipping the camera to the UK for warrantee service.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

I had the opportunity to assist many photographers in NYC for many years. Worked with all kinds of cameras and equipment. Hassys would always jam on shoots and I was never really impressed with the sharpness of the Hassy lenses - except for the 120mm. Also focusing the hassy was so hard with the dim viewer. Worked with shooters using RZs and was always impressed with the sharpness of lenses and the ease of focus - also ease of focus means more sharper images too. Yes the camera is big and is not for street shooting - but works well for landscape photography also. I have drum scanned Velvia chromes and printed to 24x18 inches and it's razor sharp and has so much detail that it could easily be doubled in size.

Best bet is eBay! Last year I purchased two RZs bodies, three lens, three backs, Polaroid back and Lightware case for $1250. The deals are out there. Since many people are going digiital medium format cameras are going for cheap. But digital is not there yet for medium format quailty - price wise that is!

Amongst the cornfields & rednecks of central Indiana
    Hmm, Johnny V, "assist many photographers...Hassy's always jamming..." ????? Usually, jamming Hassys means 1 of two things: 1) inexperienced users or 2) under maintenanced equipment.

After owning RB and RZ's, I traded in for a Hasselblad. In all these years, I've never had a jam. AND, I shoot a lot. Weddings, model portfolios, etc. A lot. No matter how fast I shoot, I never get a jam.

"Dim viewer..." ???? What, were you shooting with an old 500C??? My 503s and 200s are a lot brighter than my RZ with a brightscreen in it. Lens sharpness?? My 100CF planar is a ton sharper than any of the lenses I've got for the RZ, including the APO lenses...were you using T-Non-* single coated C lenses?

Though you say you've assisted a lot of photographers, it doesn't sound like you've actually worked with the cameras that much.

Not an attack, but I do get tired of people burning Hasselblad. Usually, it's because people can't afford one, or bought a cheap one which was never maintenanced and it broke on them, so they got pissed...

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin