Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,656   Online: 1003

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Filter Thread for Voigtlander Avus Skopar

I recently bought a Voigtlander Avus 6.5 x 9 cm camera.
    Would appreciate if anyone can tell me what type of filters (brand, size) will fit the lens.
    It is a Skopar f/4.5 105mm lens.
    The thread is on the inside of the tiny lens hood. I have never seen this design before but it must have been common once.
    Measures 26mm across the front.

Are there current production filters available to fit a lens like this, or am I searching for old stock?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The old folders generally take slip-on filters, and don't really have a filter thread designed as such. It's the thread for mounting the lens elements.

All of mine are made for slip-ons - the AVUS 9x12 (135mm Skopar), the Bergheil 9x12 (150mm Heliar), the 6.5x9 VAG (105mm Voigtar) and the 6.5x9 Bergheil (120mm Heliar).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for that info, Ole. Have to admit that I've never heard of slip on filters before. Is there a place where I can buy them new, or do I need to search the second hand markets?
    Also, are there IR filters available in this style? I like the idea of shooting some Infra Red with my Avus.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    Thanks for that info, Ole. Have to admit that I've never heard of slip on filters before. Is there a place where I can buy them new, or do I need to search the second hand markets?
    Also, are there IR filters available in this style? I like the idea of shooting some Infra Red with my Avus.
    Check 'push on' as well as 'slip on'. Both terms were used and if you're doing a search you'll double your chances that way. Yes, there were IR push-ons but they must be vanishingly rare.

There are a few tiny thread sizes, though, from about 18mm upwards and (for example) both A36 (push-on) and screw-in filters (about 22 mm from memory) for 50/3.5 Leica Elmars.

Make sure the bellows are IR-tight, too. They probably are but they might not be.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    Have to admit that I've never heard of slip on filters before. Is there a place where I can buy them new, or do I need to search the second hand markets?
    Usually, folding cameras don't take screw-in filters, because the filter has to be unmounted prior to closing the camera. It would be to cumbersome to unscrew the filter every time you need to close your camera and it is much easier to take off a slip on filter.

Slip on filters may be hard to find, especially IR filters. You might have to use some kind of universal filter holder, like the ones from Cokin.

Cheers,

Abbazz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all, very helpful. I know what I'm looking for now.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm using a Lee Gel-Snap holder for most of the folders - at least those I haven't gotten around to looking for filters for (I have a box full of various old filters, and almost as many folders).

The only exception is the Zeiss Ikon Ikonta 524 (IIRC), which can be closed with the (push-on) filter installed. So most of the BW I shoot with that camera is shot with a yellow-green filter.
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    I'm using a Lee Gel-Snap holder for most of the folders -
    Is that the 4" x 4" Lee holder?
    I'll have to test one out. My camera lens is just 27mm across so I was thinking the rubber band might not be tight enough.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Gel-Snap is the rubber band thingy, yes.

With very tiny lenses and lenses which are flush with the shutter body, there's a little trick that works evry well with folding cameras: Don't use the rubber band at all. Just place the filter on the bed, and lean it against the lens!

That's how I shot all but two of my LF IR shots so far.
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin