Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,578   Online: 862

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Images
    I have been thinking about buying a Holga... hell, after investing a few grand in my RB system, ans about the same in my Nikon gear... whats next?!

Are there any other Holga fans out there? I'm thinking of setting up a virtual holga gallery, anyone interested? Maybe the APUG guys would be willing to donate a little server space for this on the site?

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sounds good to me

I've got to ask why the Holga? I'll tell ya what I really like is my old folder. It was even cheaper then a Holga-))

Images
    Maybe just a junk camera or toy camera exhibit?
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bmacphoto.com @ Nov 1 2002, 12:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Maybe just a junk camera or toy camera exhibit?</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
    I did add a toy/plastic lens camera section to equipment (in our link portal) the other day. Someone from the NY institute of photography added a Holga Link...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes I am a Holgaphile. It is a nice change of pace from shooting 4x5 or 8x10 where you have many decisions to make before exposing the film. With the Holga just shoot. One aperature, one shutter speed, only one really effective film speed, and range focusing via little symbols on the lens barrel. Mine (I have 3) cost about &#036;12 a piece.

It is like any other camera, be it a coffee can pinhole, a Leica M7 or a Sinar 8x10. It is not the cost of the gear, it is the image it produces and how the photographer fits it into his own photographic language. For me it produces the right image for certain subjects.

The other great thing is it returns a certain sense of mystery to image making. You never know exactly how an image will turn out. Not exposure wise, but depth of field, how much is sharp how much is softened, differences in contrast due to the intensity of light.

After working with subjects where you leave nothing to chance and pretty much know how the finished print will look, a little mystery is good.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

No what I meant to ask was why you&#39;re interested in the Holga? I&#39;m just curious what draws you to it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When I have the low-tech urge, I usually go pinhole. My usual pinhole setup is a pinhole lenscap on my Canon EF, high speed film, and an old Voigtlander shoe-mount framing device. I do feel somewhat more free using this kind of thing. It injects a certain random factor into the "capture" end of things, and moves the creative part more to the editing stage.

The old Voigtlander finders are clever. To use it, you keep both eyes open. Your left eye looks at the scene, and your right eye looks through the finder at a framing mask. Your brain puts the two images together so that you see a frameline in midair, without really looking through an optical device other than your eye, so no distortion, no light loss. They made one for use with a normal lens and either 35mm or 6x9 and one for a normal lens with 6x6.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Ya know Brian, Jason is a holga nut also...
    http://pub125.ezboard.com/bweddingphotojournalists
    Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners. Laurence Sterne 1713-1768, British Author

Some good sites for Holga lovers...

www.theverb.com ( you could spend a day on that site)

www.holgamods.com (Randy has some intersting Holga modifications)

www.e3gallery.com

There is also a Photographer named Ray Carofano who shoots landscapes with a holga...dont have his URL but you can find him on Google.

LD Horricks
    Prague, Czech Republic
    LD Horricks
    Prague,Czech Republic

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin