Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,472   Online: 1121

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (harry @ Mar 19 2003, 03:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Hi, I&#39;m harry, long time listener and&nbsp; first time caller.

Even though I *know* it&#39;s not always the case I&#39;ve never known anyone who bought a Hasselblad who didn&#39;t have more money than sense.&nbsp;

</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Welcome, harry.

There are viewpoints that one can take where the decision to buy Hasselblads makes sense - at least SOME sense.

Hasselblad does not follow a strategy of planned (read: forced) obsolescence. Even with the introduction of new models, the "old" lenses still fit. I can use lenses and accessories manufactured in the mid 1950&#39;s on my late 1990&#39;s bodies, and on the latest 500 series models. They are even usable (if without the "electric" features) on the 200 series.

Compare that to a certain medium format camera manufacturer who changed their lens mounts on a new model, and the "old" lenses would not fit.

Also, Hasselblads have the highest resale value, and they remian "repairable", physically and therefore financially, for a long, long time.

So musch for reason and intellectualization. I also LOVE the "feel" of these puppies.

But then agian ... I do "Art" photography, and I have found it to be futile to try to link art and "sense" anyway.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Thanks for the welcome Ed, and don&#39;t get me wrong, I understand they&#39;re fantastic cameras. That makes it a little harder for me to take when I see someone who buys one either as a status symbol or because it&#39;s the most expensive camera in the shop, believing it will make them a good photographer when they otherwise aren&#39;t. On the other hand, maybe I ought to be grateful that it happens, as I&#39;ll be buying a hardly used RB67 (cheap) soon that could have been bought under similar circumstances. Maybe then I&#39;ll trade my F5 for that Mamiya fisheye and act like the whole F5 thing never happened.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Harry I&#39;m not sure where you are coming from. I was being tongue in cheek, and I assume you are too.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Argh. I&#39;m sorry if I offended anyone. I wasn&#39;t trying to pass judgement on anyone here. Please don&#39;t take me so seriously, I&#39;m just another nut with a camera and a computer&#33;

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No offence taken. If you look further up in this thread I too have a problem with the way some people just throw their money around. In my case I was a working professional for a number of years and now only shoot pics for my own amusement. If others like it, all the better. One rule I have is that I can&#39;t buy another peice of camera equipment like a body or lens unless I have either "paid" for it through the sale of prints with my existing equipment or I have sold something I don&#39;t use anymore to pay for it. I&#39;m a terrible pack rat so have to put some guidelines down for myself.

As far as the blad equipment I don&#39;t buy it to impress anyone. I buy it because it&#39;s darn good and there is lots of it cheap on eBay these days. I also do a lot of travel and find it just as easy to pack etc. as a complete 35mm system. In most cases lighter and easier to pack. I find I don&#39;t get the quality I want from any 35mm system, and I&#39;ve used them all, so I&#39;ve sold off all my Nikon stuff except for a few basic things (just in case) and gone totally MF for travel.

Beyond that I have rediscovered my love of LF and have immersed myself in that over the past year. It was a 30 break from LF but it&#39;s nice to get back to it.

I hope you enjoy your RB, it&#39;s a great camera. Just to big and heavy for travel. One of my all time favorite SLR MF cameras was a Bronica S2A with Nikkor optics. Got it cheap, was able to buy all kinds of lenses, backs, bellows for macro, and a 90 degree finder for less than at that time 1 blad lense. The darn thing just wouldn&#39;t die and took amazing pics. Made lots of money with it over the years. Because some of the art directors thru their own ignorance would check your chromes for the blad notches and if they weren&#39;t there would reject your stuff outright so I filed some notches into my backs and they weren&#39;t the wiser.

Ended up giving the system to a struggling commercial photographer and from what I hear she has done very well for herself.

Welcome to our community and I look forward to having you as a neighbour.

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (harry @ Mar 19 2003, 06:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>That makes it a little harder for me to take when I see someone who buys one either as a status symbol or because it&#39;s the most expensive camera in the shop, believing it will make them a good photographer when they otherwise aren&#39;t.&nbsp; </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    I know *exactly* what you mean.

There are significant reasons for owning a "fine" camera ... for the same reason that a "fine" carpenter will probably own a "fine" hammer. The finest hammer ever made will *NOT* create a "fine" carpenter - and the same principles apply to photography - and a whole spectrum of other human activites.

Once I succumbed to the "lure" of having a "prestigious" camera around my neck ... and, sad to say, I think I let that camera have a very bad effect on me. I finally realized ... I&#39;m not the fastest learner in the world ... that there was a pompous, arrogant, coarse OAF - who really did not know much about what he was talking about entangled in the loop formed by that camera strap. I caused grief to others ... something I&#39;ve sworn to myself NOT to do again.

- Ahhh ... enough&#33;

I tried nude photography. I damn near froze&#33;&#33;&#33;

Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Good point there. A tool is only as fine as it&#39;s user.

A fact that often goes unnoticed it seems among the equipment snobs.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

I must agree with all of you who question Hasselblad&#39;s reason for their 645. There have been magazines in the 645 formar for years. It&#39;s all marketing. I was shocked when they came out with the "colored" Hasseys. It&#39;s a way to make a few more bucks. What hassey user with a yellow camera will EVER use a blue back? That means more sales of new backs. Frankly I am a little disappointed with hasselblad and their "new items". I&#39;ve been a hassey user for over 40 years and have just about all of their lense&#39;s as well as their acessories. I&#39;m very proud of my black bodies and I am always happy to talk with those that see my cameras know that the name as always meant quality.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin