Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,655   Online: 753

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya 645, 500mm lens?

I was wondering if anyone here has experience using the Mamiya 645, 500mm lens (not the APO), and what those experiences were like. I'm considering getting a used one for wildlife imaging.

Thanks for any comments.

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sorry, the longest I've used is the 210mm, and I'm selling it right now for lack of use. It's a beast really, without any support for the lens itself, but you can hold the lens in your off hand and it works out fine. I can't imagine holding something larger than that though...

- Randy

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Images
    I have the 300 and haven't had any issues with it on the camera and the camera on a tripod. I like the lens a lot. I wouldn't hand hold this one. I have also used it with the Mamiya TC and that is really sweet. It has a built in hood as well.

Stew

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the 500 f5.6 but haven't used it too much. No real issues except it is big and heavy. Somewhat more difficult with the waist level finder than with a prism. If you can get a good price on it, it's worth having. From what I've read you can put the extender on it making a 1000mm f11 lens, but I can't say anything more than that as I don't have an extender.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all for the feedback.

I also have the 210mm lens and love it. I don't find it to be too big or bulky at all. While the 500mm does look a bit daunting, I suppose it's to be expected from this focal length... unless I were to go with a mirror lens. I know my use for this lens would be limited, and I still trying to decide if it's worth the addition.

Thanks again,
    Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There's really only two ways to get closer, move the camera, or lengthen the lens. If you were to spring for the 300APO then you might consider the extender to solve the length issue. I don't think I would use the extender on the 500mm, but then if I had it I would probably try it.

Depending on how you get to where you are wanting to use that lens, the weight might be a factor, it is rather heavy. If lesser weight is required you might want to think about the Mamiya mirror 500mm.

The 500 5.6 is one of those things that if you use it to grab an image that you could never have taken with a shorter lens by moving closer, it would suddenly be worth all the effort/expense.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Greg for the ideas. I would move closer if I could, but for the intended uses, (wildlife and big moons and suns), getting closer is just not an option I have been curious about the mirror lenses though and may consider that as an option.

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    There's really only two ways to get closer, move the camera, or lengthen the lens. If you were to spring for the 300APO then you might consider the extender to solve the length issue. I don't think I would use the extender on the 500mm, but then if I had it I would probably try it.

Depending on how you get to where you are wanting to use that lens, the weight might be a factor, it is rather heavy. If lesser weight is required you might want to think about the Mamiya mirror 500mm.

The 500 5.6 is one of those things that if you use it to grab an image that you could never have taken with a shorter lens by moving closer, it would suddenly be worth all the effort/expense.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Mike
    I've just ordered the 2x converter from Robert White to use with my 150 and 210. His prices on 645 lenses are dangerously tempting right now (and he does support APUG!) The converter could get you close(ish) for a lot less weight than the 500. Having said that if you have the finances for the 500 and the strength to haul 2280g monster lens around I'm sure the quality would be better.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've used mirror tele's in the past (for 35mm)... The out of focus donuts take some getting used to. The other disadvantage is that they normally do not have a diaphram so your f-stop is all that you have, and many lenses are at f8. An f5.6 mirror might be interesting though... Definitely a lot lighter than the all lensed version.

Before I bought my 500/5.6 I thought hard about the mirror version which was cheaper, lighter, and more easily obtained, but went with the all lens version due to the above issues (speed being one of the key areas). So if you try a mirror, you might want to save a little money and buy one of the Russian 500/5.6 mirror lenses. That should give you a taste of the mirror lens, and you shouldn't lose too much money if you decide to sell it. For wildlife at dusk or dawn an f8 lens will probably be a little too slow.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin