Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,441   Online: 716

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap filters

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think I will get a proper filter then try it again. Looking at the film, I think what I can see is light reflected off of the rear of the filter (in a Cokin holder) rather than IR through the filter.
    The frame just shows a slight darkening around the edges with the majority of the frame being as clear as the edge of the film.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the pm Steve, I was nearly going to go and get the filter tonight. The B+W equivalent is 3 times the price, plus an adaptor.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I will probably buy the Ilford trial pack of three 35mm films and a Cokin P size filter here:

http://www.mailshotsuk.co.uk/acatalo...ra_Film_7.html

(near the bottom of the page).

This will give me lots of 35mm frames to experiment with before I spend money on more 120 film.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    No-one I know who has methodically tested filters (instead of relying on what 'everyone knows') has seen any quality loss with resin. You need to go to window glass for detectable losses. Transmission and lens correction/focus correction are far more important than filter material.

A filter with a T50 of 715nm should work fine with both SFX and Efke IR -- I have had success with both. Try 'sunny 11' at EI 6 as a starting point.

Cheers,

Roger

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Roger,

was the original question about the filter being made of resin or being unbranded?
    I don't know. But as you know Lee Filters produce camera filters made of resin. This interest in limited extension IR-films should them make think about offering 100mm² 89B type filters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I will probably buy the Ilford trial pack of three 35mm films and a Cokin P size filter here:

http://www.mailshotsuk.co.uk/acatalo...ra_Film_7.html

(near the bottom of the page).

This will give me lots of 35mm frames to experiment with before I spend money on more 120 film.

Steve.
    I don't know if you are aware, but the filter that comes in the kit (and sold separately) is a gel filter in a Cokin gel holder (I have one). I'd be tempted to go for the Cokin P007 filter which I *THINK* is a resin one (but check that before buying).

As a general point, any filter that cuts off much deeper in to the infrared than a Wratten 89b or equivalent will be too deep to register anything on SFX film as the film is only sensitive to around 740nm.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    As a general point, any filter that cuts off much deeper in to the infrared than a Wratten 89b or equivalent will be too deep to register anything on SFX film as the film is only sensitive to around 740nm.

I think that is the problem with the filter I have i.e. it is too far into the IR region (rather than it being a resin filter). Although I have no way of testing it other than with film. The fact that it worked with my D100 is no indication that it will work with film.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    No-one I know who has methodically tested filters (instead of relying on what 'everyone knows') has seen any quality loss with resin.
    I'm sure you're correct. I don't think the fact that it's a resin filter is the problem, I just think that this cheap filter is too infra red to register on the film.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I'm sure you're correct. I don't think the fact that it's a resin filter is the problem, I just think that this cheap filter is too infra red to register on the film.

Steve.
    Dear Steve,

Entirely possible. Do they give a T50 (50 per cent transmission figure)?. And of course you are dead right that resin wouldn't blank things out completely. My post yesterday was after a 3000 mile drive in 3 weeks in a 1972 Land Rover, visiting Leica, Zeiss and Gitzo/Manfrotto, as well as going to Hungary for the spas and taking some pics in Capodistria on the way...

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Entirely possible. Do they give a T50 (50 per cent transmission figure)?. And of course you are dead right that resin wouldn't blank things out completely.
    No, they don't say much other than to claim a similarity to an 89B filter. To be fair to the seller, he only mentions its use on digital cameras and he does give a list of models which have been tested with it.
    I suppose I was asking too much of it really.
    At four stops above Ilford's recommended exposure, I would expect at least a very feint image (actually, I would expect an overexposed image!) so I can only think that it cuts off too much of the near visible IR to be effective on SFX film.
    I will have to spend even more money now on a good filter!

Steve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin