Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,664   Online: 814

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap filters

Shooter
    Medium Format

Cheap filters

I'm currently looking for a new IR filter (100mm 89B) and I'm very limited in my choices to suit my lenses.

I have an opportunity to buy an unbranded ebay special and wondered how bad can this resin filter be?

Is it worth the £30?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unbranded resin filters? Sure it's not a lighting filter?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    With the costs involved in IR, I would want my stuff to be right. I don't think the words 'cheap' and 'IR photography' fit in the same sentence.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Unbranded resin filters? Sure it's not a lighting filter?
    This is it here if you're interested.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...2509%26fvi%3D1

I've yet to come across another 100x100mm 89B filter, unless I opt for a B+W round filter and buy an adapter...the expensive route.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can live with Cokin P size then they are about 25 quid, but I've not noticed any 4" at a sensible price - the Cokin Pro series ones are more than twice the P-size cost.

Good luck, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have one similar:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...0191&rd=1&rd=1

If my Rollei film ever turns up from Silverprint I will let you know.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Update

As my Rollei film has not arrived yet, I decided to try out my cheap filter with one of those non-film cameras (sorry!).

It appears to work very well. Interestingly, the exposure on the digi thing was six stops more than the metered daylight reading which is about the same as is to be expected from the film from what I have read so far.

The picture I took was with the camera hand supported but resting on a garden bench with the filter held in front of it. The exposure was one second at f8 on a bright day with about 50% cloud cover. Once converted to grayscale, it showed the classic IR characteristic of white foliage. Although I quite liked the pinkish image before it was converted.

Anyway, enough of this digi-nonesense. Where's my film?!!

Steve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    As my Rollei film has not arrived yet, I decided to try out my cheap filter with one of those non-film cameras (sorry!).

Anyway, enough of this digi-nonesense. Where's my film?!!

Steve.
    I recieved a notice that my film had shipped in late March and it finally showed up yesterday! So I wouldnt worry too much, it will show up. I think the German postal system is very slow, or everytime I mail something to Germany it is.

Gary

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Update:

After wasting two rolls of Ilford SFX (Silverprint sent me this instead of the Rollei film at my request) I would say don't waste your money on these cheap resin filters.

I tried mine on a roll of SFX yesterday and got a completely blank roll of film other than some nicely exposed edge markings.

Today I tried another roll with a couple of 'control exposures' at the start without the filter then a sequence of exposures from -3 to +4 stops from Ilford's recommended exposure (1/30 f5.6 in bright sun).

The two test exposures came out perfectly but the rest of the roll was blank except for the last frame which seems to be just slightly darker than the edge of the film. i.e. you can just about make out the shape of the frame but no detail.

I think I will now buy a proper filter from a reputable manufacturer. And some more film!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Update:

After wasting two rolls of Ilford SFX (Silverprint sent me this instead of the Rollei film at my request) I would say don't waste your money on these cheap resin filters.

I tried mine on a roll of SFX yesterday and got a completely blank roll of film other than some nicely exposed edge markings.

Today I tried another roll with a couple of 'control exposures' at the start without the filter then a sequence of exposures from -3 to +4 stops from Ilford's recommended exposure (1/30 f5.6 in bright sun).

The two test exposures came out perfectly but the rest of the roll was blank except for the last frame which seems to be just slightly darker than the edge of the film. i.e. you can just about make out the shape of the frame but no detail.

I think I will now buy a proper filter from a reputable manufacturer. And some more film!

Steve.
    I think this has more to do with the lack of true IR sensitivity of the SFX film rather than anything to do with the filter. If you are still bent on trying the SFX then use that last frame as a start point and do maybe five more stops over from that in one stop steps. You can used several layers of unexposed and processed slide film as an IR filter with acceptable results.
    Gary Beasley

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin