Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,238   Online: 793

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Availbility of parts/repair service for Bronica SQ-AI...

Hey guys, I recently started a thread here (just a few threads down) about which medium format camera to consider for a beginner.

Well, I have decided on the Bronica SQ-Ai, but was wondering how easy it was to get replacement parts or repairs on this particular body. I've been building my kit on KEH.com, but cannot find a WLF. I've searched eBay as well and while I saw a brand new SQ-Ai WLF listed recently, it has ended and there are no other WLF's listed. Are there any other retailers that specialize in used MF gear? I've checked Adorama as well and could not find a WLF.

Also, I ask because I am wondering if I should purchase their EX or EX+ rated bodies, or stick with the bargain bodies (I'd really like to save as much as I can). As for lenses, I've decided that optics are generally good investments, so I will be looking at the EX or higher ratings.

Thanks!

Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could try Mpex.

I assume you are in the US. You could ask Tamron about service. My understanding is they've committed to providing service for a few years yet.

When it comes to KEH grading I tend to go by the prices. If the price jump is small I'll go with the higher grade. Other times the jump is quite high and not really worth it IMHO. Plus it's not like buying a higher grade will get you something built better.

There is an old joke about things looking brand new because they never worked right I figure any camera with signs of use likely belonged to a working pro that needed something that worked and tended to get things like CLAs done.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Nick. I'll have to look at the price differences. It seems like many people have had great experiences with KEH, so I'm not too worried. I just don't want something to crap out on me a few months after purchase

Moving forward... Has anyone sent in a Bronica body to Tamron for repairs? How was the service and pricing like?

And, any suggestions on other online retailers that may carry the WLF for the SQ-Ai would be appreciated as well (no luck with MPEX either).

Thanks.

BTW, what does CLA stand for?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    CLA stand for Clean, Lubricate and Adjust.

BTW, for the WLF, I saw one on eBay. It was listed by the seller "shutterblade" - they actually have two available right now.
    Last edited by Sanjay Sen; 05-15-2007 at 06:19 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added more info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't about Tamron but I bet their prices are standard MF prices. The Canadian distributor almost wanted more for a crank handle to fit my ETRSI then I bought a whole body from KEH for.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    sesanjay, I just looked up shutterblade on eBay, and they don't seem to have any waist level finders for the SQ-Ai. If you have a link, I would appreciate it!

Thanks Nick. That seems a tiny bit overkill!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just ordered an SQ-A kit from KEH and they have no WLF's in stock. Two went on eb*y today. One went for $66.99 and the other for $77.50...this tells me they're scarce.

I'm not sure why they'd be scarce. It suggests that most kits were originally sold with prisms, which would make sense if they were popular with wedding shooters. They have an awfully nice accessory grip that is useless with the WLF.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks jstraw. I should have jumped on those WLF's when I had the chance.

BTW, can I get any WLF that will mount the SQ series? Or does it have to be SQ-Ai specific?

Also, with the SQ-Ai WLF, is there any magnification involved? The bigger the better! I have seen some photos of the WLF (though not SQ-Ai specific) that show the WLF having a circular viewfinder. I was under the impression that it would be a square format as shown on this link:

http://www.camerahobby.com/Images/Te...caPolaroid.jpg

Are there different types of WLF? I'd prefer to have the "square" viewfinder, if that makes sense at all. The following link is of course, not a Bronica SQ-Ai, but I have seen similar WLF on the Bronica.

http://nikomat.homeip.net/priv/camer...res/finder.jpg

Thanks again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As far as I know there is only one WLF for the SQ series (and it's square). I've been tracking a bunch of Bronica SQ** stuff on that auction site for a year and I don't think I've seen a half dozen go by. I got mine from KEH last summer after failing to connect with one for weeks. An "EX" one cost as much as an unmetered prism (but weighs a lot less ). I've actually wondered if they are rare because they're the preferred finder, the last to be sold off when owners downsize their kits.

DaveT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin