Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,488   Online: 819

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like I should be selling my restored Rolleis in Japan!

Quote Originally Posted by IloveTLRs View Post
    Anything Rollei is expensive here in Japan. A Vb will still go for about $650+ :^P

Yashicas can also be expensive, since I guess lots of people think TLR = Yashica. A, B & C models aren't that much, however.

Minolta Autocords aren't very expensive, which is surprising since I've heard they have quite nice lenses.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tony lockerbie View Post
    If money is tight best to go for a Rolleicord 1V, or for a fair bit extra, the V. You won't be unhappy with either.
    I will recommend the V (again). When I print anything taken with mine I wonder why I own any other cameras.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    - toby -

I am aware of existence and basic features of Rolleicord V (or Va, Vb) but newer heard of "1V" version. Could you tell me a bit more about it?

- IloveTLRs -

so, do we make a deal ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a Rolliecord V, recently sold a C220 and used a new-at-the-time 124G in high school. Other than the meter, I much prefer the Rolleicord. It just feels like like such a nice piece of kit and it a pleasure to use (of course I'm also older now, so tastes change!). The weak link in all of these are the relatively dim screen. I find that I always use the magnifier and hold it up to my eye. No big deal. I think I will be getting a Maxwell screen soon, though. The fact that I am spending over $100 on a screen for a camera that cost me $130 should tell you how much I like it......

Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tony lockerbie View Post
    I have a couple of shots taken with a pre war Automat on my web page, just click on link below and go to classic cameras / Jan 2007.
    There are certainly pre-war Automats still around in usable condition. I had one when I was a student in the 1960s and in fact took my most famous photograph (of David Bowie, see APUG gallery) with this. At the same time, I remember screwing up an assignment during this period to photograph amateur theatricals (not very bright stage lighting) because the viewfinder was so dim and I couldn't focus properly. I abandoned a Rollei T a few years ago for the same reason (great lens, but I couldn't see to focus) and thought I had had it with Rolleis, but last year I bought another T on e-bay which was alleged to have been fully serviced (and had been!). This has a nice bright finder and I hope to keep this example indefinitely. I still have a pre-war Automat as well, the taking lens looks OK and the shutter works, but the viewfinder is mighty murky!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Rolleicord model 1V came just before the V which is the last of the 'Cords. From memory the main difference was the fact that the V had the interchangeable finder so you could fit a prism. It may have had 22o capability, but I'm not sure.
    Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A new (or simply cleaned when possible) mirror alone can work wonders for a Rollei's viewfinder. A high quality fresnel is better yet as it evens out the illumination and brightens the corners as well.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs View Post
    Sounds like I should be selling my restored Rolleis in Japan!
    Yes, you should. I looked at an original 6x6 Rolleiflex today (1928~1932) the one with the level in the viewfinder. Broken (the shutter was acting funny), the store wanted ¥20000 ($170?) for it.

This guy: http://www.siufai.dds.nl/RolleiOriginal.htm
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, the things have happened. I just took it via Buy-it-Now and hope to get a beautifull Rolleiflex 3.5T (black, version 1) in a week . It is supposed to be in a very nice condition (pictures of it look great) and fully working order, plus it has 1 year warranty. I keep my fingers crossed that it is really so. For 200 euro (~ $260) I did not resist. I wanted to get an autocord but nice example of late model is hard to find.

Thanks to all of you for your help. I will let you know my first impressions soon.

matus..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I feel like I should bump this thread which I started long time ago. The point is - I have made a BIG mistake. I sold the Rolleiflex T in 2010 (to fund Mamiya 6 which I have now) and increasingly miss it

So - I am more and more seriously looking at getting a TLR again. As I do not plan to make the same mistake twice - once I will manege to get one I will NOT sell it again.

Contrary to many I actually liked the coupled shutter/aperture settings (though the lever was a bit small for secure grip in particular in cold weather). I also liked the film winding/shutter cocking and I am not sure I would like to swap with for the controls on Rolleicord in this regard.

I am looking at about the same candidates like last time (Autocord, Rolleicord, Rolleiflex T), though I would consider also the E or F 3.5 models (depends on funds a bit). However I decided to learn a bit more about the models in question before making the decision. I have contacted Harry Fleenor and asked him about Rolleiflex T and he told me, that it has less strong/reliable film winding and front controls as either Rolleicords (which are simpler) or Rolleiflex Xenotar/Plannar models (which are more robust). He explicitly mentioned that the T was not made for heavy use.

Now, I did not experience any problems with the T during the time I had it, but in the light of the above I would like to ask a few reliability related questions.

1) What about the reliability of the Minolta Autocord (later models with Citizen shutter)? I would love to hear comments on the internal robustness - any comments from repair/service?

2) Rolleiflex T owners - did you experience problems with film winding or the front controls?

3) I never had any other TLR in hand than the T - how does it compare to say 3.5F and/or Rolleicord V models side by side and in the use? How is the viewing screen? I found the screen on the T rather bright, but I was never sure whether it was the original one (when I bought the camera it was mounted upside/down and the camera miss-focused).

thank you

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin