Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,515   Online: 1014

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Weston Master V Exposure Meter

Hi,
    I've recently purchased a Weston Master V meter on EBay from the States and the photo shows the indicator needle is positioned to the extreme left of the window, not indicating any reading and not positioned on the Zero number. Can anyone advise whether this means that the meter is defective or is this "normal" when not in use? I hope I haven't bought a "pup"!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Doesn't move at all? Even when you open the low light door in the back?

Assuming it's like my IV look at the right side of the meter. Do you see a slide switch? Pretty big. Is it locked?

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Weston Master V exposure meter

I'm sorry Nick, but I don't have the meter to try out yet, I'm still waiting for delivery here in the UK. Most other photos I've seen of the W.M. V shows the needle resting on the Zero setting when the meter is not in use, but not the one I bought. Does yours rest away from the zero when not in use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The zero on mine is the left side. I normally store the meter unlocked so the needle will go all the way left. Past the zero. It possible to lock the meter reading then the needle could be anyplace on the dial. The lock lets you take a reading then spin the dails to translate the reading into F/stops and shutter speed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What was a slide switch on the Master IV became a gray (Master V) or black (Euromaster) button in the middle of the right-hand long side of the meter. This button has a slot in it, turn it 1/4 turn to the left, preferably using your finger nail, and it will rise and lock the meter needle. You can then press it straight down to take a reading and release it to lock. If you turn the button 1/4 turn to the right, again using your finger nail, it will lock in the down position and have no effect on the meter needle movement.

Tip: If you have occasion to use the zero-adjust ("zero corrector") screw on the back of the meter, cover the cell with something black while doing so, make sure the meter lock is off, use only your fingernail if at all possible and be aware that it will be necessary to turn this screw by only a VERY small amount - give it 2 hearty turns with a screwdriver and your meter will be wrecked!

PS: The needle should be on zero when the needle lock is off and the cell is completely covered. If it goes below zero, readings will be way out!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would say mine is slightly to the left of the zero mark. Depending on the angle you look at it can look like it's exactly on the zero but it's not. Reads fine according to sunny 16. Just compared it to my Sekonic and the readings are within my ability to test. 1/25 versus 1/30th of a second. That's in low light. If I remember the Weston does better in brighter light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can the cell be replace on these meters?

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Weston Master V exposure meter

Thanks guys for all your replies. I may yet not have bought a "pup".

Regards, Kathab

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    http://www.megatron.co.uk/homepage.html

42 pounds installed and calibrated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post

I had a new cell fitted to mine a few years back by a local repairman, and for less than Megatron charge! Unfortunately he has retired (or starved to death?).

Richard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin