Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,679   Online: 912

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mark, I own two folders, The agfa which Jurgen rebuilt for me was my Fathers and I love using it. In particular I love taking shots of family and friends and watching their jaws drop when they see the results. (this was taken WITH THAT?). My main cameras are mamiya AFD and RZ. On the best of days when everything works my folder simply does not match my RZ for quality. Multicoating and computer generated designs go a Looooong way for lenses. As a LF user you know better than anyone what the term SLOW means. Using a folder is only one step up, at least you don't have to switch film backs. Every thing else is just about the same. Judge distance, take a light reading(you will need your light meter), cock shutter, shoot. I say all this because for me a trip to Guatemala would probably be a one time shot, as, unless relatives are involved I tend to only visit a place once. While I agree with you that I would want to take my medium format I would not take my folder if it were the only camera I could bring.(OK everybody you can start throwing stones). I would seriously look at a Mamiya 7 or 6 for their stunning resolution and compact size, something you would scrutinize as a LF shooter. The other option I would "SERIOUSLY" consider is Nicks suggestion about the Fuji645. The ZI has a zoom lense (sort of) fast shutter speeds, flash, auto focus, etc. etc. I say all this because Quality images are meaningless if only one in six shots work. The folder works great if you have lots of time but when your on the move with candids your hit rate decreases rapidly. Especially if you don't use it every day. Even if you sell the Fuji or Mamiya at a $100.00 -$150.00 loss when you get back, all that is forgotten 10 years from now when your looking at the 11x14 on your wall remembering the places you've been. My two cents.
    Last edited by Werner B.; 05-22-2007 at 10:32 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grammer

Images
    Werner's suggestions mirror my own thoughts, but they don't really address the question of a 120 folder.
    I have, and use, three Zeiss Ikonta folders (520/2, 521/2, and III) all of which are relatively light and compact. There's much to be said for a post-WW2 Zeiss Ikonta B or C.
    However, in addition to a MF camera, you'd going to need to carry a light meter with you, and lots of film, since 120 will not be available locally. I'd like to suggest that you re-think the MF option, and consider a pocketable mechanical 35mm such as a Retina, Leica with collapable lens, or Rollei 35S.

Dug

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ikonta believe the picture quality

Another vote for the Zeiss Ikonta. I bought a Super Ikonta 534/16 in March to take to Cambodia. Had it CLA'd before I left, brought the new 400 ISO Portra film, old Fuji NPH from the freezer, and a backup Gossen Pilot II to confirm the meter readings and shot mid- aperature mid-shutter speed. Wear a pair of pants with a cargo pocket and prepare for FUN!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RiverHouse2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've shot the Super Ikontas. My only complaint about them is that most have frame spacing issues. At best they leave almost no space between frames. At worst, there is substantial overlap. It's not a big deal if you crop your images but if you print full-frame it's a nightmare. That's what ultimately drove me to settle on the Super Baldax. Sanders

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a drawer-full of folders and would recommend a refurbished Agfa/Ansco, Voigtlander or Z-I with one of the better lenses (I've had good results with both Apotars and Solinars on Agfas, Skopars and Heliars on Voigtlander and Tessars on Zeiss, the main issue with sharpness on an old folder is whether the lens is actually focusing correctly and is parallel with the film plane). I've also had good success with both the Iskra and Moskow 5 ex-Soviet cameras.

As to whether it has a rangefinder or not, I don't agree with those saying you need one. I found that when using a scale-focusing camera and no light meter I very quickly became very good at judging both distance and light conditions very well, skills I think any photographer would benefit from even when the tools to do so are available.
    Benno Jones
    Seattle, WA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a Moskva-2. It really isn't that compact, it folds flat but it's heavy and fairly large. I wouldn't want to carry it in a pocket unless I was wearing a large overcoat. I just bought, and am amazed by, a Retina IIC which is so much smaller.

On the other hand, it (the Moskva) does take pretty good pictures, focuses accurately and has a pretty decent lens. The only problem I've found is that the bellows very slightly obscures the edge of the frame [not really a huge problem].
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails moskva.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That previous comment should have read Retina IIc (small c).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had several older folders that were nice for what they were, then I got a Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta BX and was blown away with the images. Regardless, folders are fun to shoot with and I like the larger negatives.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Take a look here--loads of folding camera options to be examined:

http://www.certo6.com/cameras.html

You should find something in there that will work for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Mamyia 6, the 50s version, which I feel is compact, rugged, has good optics, and not too expensive. I have a S VI lens hood and basic filters, my meter is as bulky as the camera.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin