Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,487   Posts: 1,571,314   Online: 797

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd still highly recommend a good 35mm compact with auto-everything. A Mju (stylus epic) or similar is tiny and could be carried as a reliable backup to the folder. I was amazed at the photos I had back from mine last time I went on holiday (I had a MF camera with me too).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    In about a year I will be going on a trip to Guatemala. Due to the nature of the trip I will not be able to carry my usual camera with me (I shoot mostly LF, but also have a Hassy setup which I use for handheld shots). My wife has told me that I can bring a camera with me if it is small - such as something that would fit in a pocket. 35mm options abound, but I would really prefer a larger negative, so I have been thinking about geting a folding MF camera - perhaps an Agfa Isolette or a Zeiss Ikonta. I was just wondering if anybody in here had any experience with pocket size MF cameras (next I need to start looking for a vest with big pockets ) I shoot almost exclusively B&W if that makes a difference.
    On one of those kind trips I take a Kodak Duo 620 II (6X4.5), It will fit in most shirt pockets and the lens hood, #8 series V filter assembly fit in the other pocket with room for an extra roll of film and a small light meter. The only problem you have to spool your own 620 film and of course it is scale focus. Regards, Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    Actually I travel quite a bit for my work, but it is almost all in the developed world - this year I will make 2 trips to Europs and one to Asia as well as several within the US. Normally when travelling I bring the Hassy with me, sometimes a 35mm, although I am increasingly getting frustrated with the 35mms and every time I use one, I swear that I will get rid of all my 35mm gear and never do that agian. The Guatemala trip is different in that I will going along with my wife, one other adult and nine teenagers. We have told the kids that they cannot bring their normal stuff - Ipods, cell phones etc. Photography will definitely be a secondary part of the trip, and I want to keep that aspect as discrete as possible. We (the adults) will all be wearing photo vests, primarily to carry documentation, first aid kits etc, and the deal is that I can bring a camera that fits in a pocket of the vest - still I don't want to exaggerate.

I have used TLRs before, and like them for a lot of different things, but still, I think that for this trip, something which can be carried in a pocket will be a necessity, and a 6x6 folder seems right to me.

I knew when I wrote it I was being a bit of an ass... the devil made me do it.

I suggest that every student takes a camera with them. What an opportunity to share the importance of film within the documentary portion of every project of this type. For the price of one good lens, you could just about buy each of them a used Sureshot and a half dozen rolls of film. 10 points of view! I'll contribute 10 bucks to that cause.

Just an idear.

tim the ass in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've tried quite a number of folders in the last couple of decades and find the Mamiya Six (not to be confused with the Mamiya 6) to be superior to anything else, including a Certo. I have the last type and the type before it and the lenses are superb, better than Tessars, Solinars or Xpress (the latter being the next best).

Its worth noting that the rangefinder adds a fair amount of bulk and weight to any camera so if compactness is an issue, and you are a good judge of distance, go with a focus scale...

Your mileage may vary,
    Russ

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Young View Post
    Its worth noting that the rangefinder adds a fair amount of bulk and weight to any camera so if compactness is an issue, and you are a good judge of distance, go with a focus scale...

Your mileage may vary,
    Russ
    This is fair - one of my most compact cameras is an Olympus PEN, which gives me 72 exposures per roll, and has a focus scale. At this point, what I am thinking is that I might pick up a couple of different cameras - these vintage folders seem quite reasonable in price, and try them out, then bring one with me that I grow to like.

Tim suggested having the kids bring cameras with them, which ordinarily I like as an idea. My wife teaches a basic photo class to teenagers, which includes darkroom, and if we were bringing some of those kids we would definitely bring cameras. This trip is church related, and our primary goal is going to be service related. I want the kids to have as few distractions from the work that they are supposed to be doing as possible. I will bring a film camera, my wife will bring a digital primarily to document what we are doing for the rest of the congregation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are many folding cameras out there in camera world. I have tried only a few but have been pleased with the results. I have the Super Ikontas, "C" and "B" a Moskva 4 and 5 as well as a Kodak Tourist.
    The Moskva and the Tourist cameras are quite usable and have the advantage of being cheaply replaced should anything happen.
    The Super Ikonta "C" (6 x 9) is marvelous in many ways if one can overlook problems with the aging Albada finders.
    Of the cameras I've tried, however I can heartily recommend the Super Ikonta "B" (6 x 6) with a coated or uncoated lens.
    As well the Moskva 2, 4 and 5, (6 x 9) are great, if you can get a good one, as the finders are usually clear and usable.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    There are many folding cameras out there in camera world. I have tried only a few but have been pleased with the results. I have the Super Ikontas, "C" and "B" a Moskva 4 and 5 as well as a Kodak Tourist.
    The Moskva and the Tourist cameras are quite usable and have the advantage of being cheaply replaced should anything happen.
    The Super Ikonta "C" (6 x 9) is marvelous in many ways if one can overlook problems with the aging Albada finders.
    Of the cameras I've tried, however I can heartily recommend the Super Ikonta "B" (6 x 6) with a coated or uncoated lens.
    As well the Moskva 2, 4 and 5, (6 x 9) are great, if you can get a good one, as the finders are usually clear and usable.
    I own several of the Moskva folding cameras (two 4s and a 5). They are great perfomers for the price, and if I had to take a folder it would be a Moskva. (Beause they are good preformers, are very compact, and can be replaced for not a lot of $$.) I have actually taken one of these along twice on trips abroad as my main camera when I knew that photography would not be a main event.

I also own and use several other medium format rangefinders, incluidng a Fuji GA646zi, a Fuji GS690III, and a Mamiya 7, and have traveled extensively with the first two.

However, if I absolutely had to choose just one of these cameras for a trip abroad where making photographs was very important, there is no question but that the one I would take would be the Fuji GA645Zi. It is the best combination of performance, weight, compact design, flexibility and ease of use of any of the other cameras I own and have used.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm leaving for Europe next week, taking only two cameras (as this is a "fun" trip with grandkids.) One is my DSLR Canon and the other is my lovely Agfa Super Isolette. I find I cannot travel without this camera if I want to make something worthwhile in B&W... no knock on the Canon, it does what it does quite well, but the Solinar lens and I agree on what things should look like without Photoshop. I also will take a lenshood and a couple of filters. My only complaint on the Isolette is the smallness and location of the focusing ring... I find I need to look at it rather than "feel" for it to operate with any sense of quickness. Otherwise it's a remarkable and highly portable camera... fits in my cargo pants pocket or a small belt-pouch.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Mark, if I were you, I'd try a few out and figure out which you are most comfortable with. I could tell you which folders I like best, but as you can see by the responses here, there is no one folder that is right for everybody. I do want to disagree with a couple of posters that are discouraging you from taking a folder.

You will not need a light meter. Take a good 400 speed film (I like HP5+) and use the sunny 16 rule. Like somebody else said, with a little practice you'll be quite good at it. Or, take a Gossen digisix, smaller than a pocket watch, and it keeps time, tells you the temperature, is an alarm clock too IIRC.

A pocket 35mm point and shoot will NOT give you the same quality images as a good folder.

Folders have the advantage of not needing batteries, which is probably a plus where you're going.

Looking forward to seeing your shots when you get back.

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Mike

I picked up an Iskra, which I am pretty happy with. I have been using HP5+ (my most common film in the hassy and for LF), and have no problem estimating exposures. I am probably going to bring that camera with me, although I would like to find someone who can do someone who could do a bit of work on it first...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin