Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,788   Online: 831

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow, thanks for the quick responses!

By "not full-frame" do you mean the entire area of the polaroid is not exposed? So in addition to the already-occuring white polaroid frame, a part of the negative will not be exposed?

In terms of options... I seem to have many options

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Didn't a 3rd party even make backs for 35mm cameras?
    Not sure about third party, but Nikon made one for the original F. It had an enlarging lens in it to enlarge the 35 mm frame to Polaroid size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The enlarged Polaroid for Nikon F was called a Speed Magny. Somewhat rare item, so probably sort of expensive. NPC Photo still make many Polaroid adapters for various medium format and 35mm cameras. Sometimes you can find these used at reasonable prices. NPC Photo new prices are sometimes better than dedicated Polaroid back prices from medium format camera companies. They also make a cool dedicated camera, like the old Polaroid 195.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bronica SQ series - and they do make several films that are compatible.

Both the Pentax 645 and 67 series can take Polaroid backs. I believe both are aftermarket and I think the 67 needs to be modified. The 645 series uses a fiberoptic bundle to make it work and the cost is a little dear - $350 used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjoo View Post
    Wow, thanks for the quick responses!

By "not full-frame" do you mean the entire area of the polaroid is not exposed? So in addition to the already-occuring white polaroid frame, a part of the negative will not be exposed?

In terms of options... I seem to have many options
    Most of the polaroid backs for medium format cameras take standard peel-apart film such as 667, 669, 655, and so forth, which is if I remember correctly 3.25 x 4.25 in recordible area. Course when you consider 6x6 for example, only 2.25 x 2.25 of the polaroid sheet is going to get exposed, and smaller for 645 cameras.

One nice thing about the Mamiya RB67 and RZ67 polaroid backs, is due to the RB's "Rotating back", there is 7cm of clearance not only horizontally but also vertically, which allows for 6x7 negative to be shot in portrait or landscape just by rotating the back. But this also means that by putting a polaroid back on, you get a 7x7 cm square image on the polaroid leaving just a small strip on the edge for the extra inch or so thats not covered, but need less to say a 7x7 square on a sheet of polaroid film is about the best you are going to get, shy of finding a polaroid back for a 6x9 camera (or using a pack back on a 4x5 view camera.). I also use a pack back for my crown graphic which takes the same type of film, except in the case of that, the entire polaroid film gets exposed (even though cropped since you are working with a 3.25x4.25 film area inside of a 4x5 coverage).

So while it's nice the RZ/RB will cover most of the polaroid sheet, regardless if you use a 645, you are still going to be exposing a sheet at a time as opposed to getting more shots in a pack, so it can go either way in terms of looking at it.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yurihuta View Post
    Bronica SQ series - and they do make several films that are compatible.

Both the Pentax 645 and 67 series can take Polaroid backs. I believe both are aftermarket and I think the 67 needs to be modified. The 645 series uses a fiberoptic bundle to make it work and the cost is a little dear - $350 used.
    The pentax 67 would need to be modified since it has a hindged back, as opposed to using modular film backs. So you'd have to get the hindged back off and find a polaroid back that can easily fit in it's place. And I think the Pentax 645 (if its anything like the newer Mamiya 645) has to have a polaroid back that seems to stick into the camera, not sure how it works, I assume has some kind of built in optics to correct for the film plane distance. ( I could be wrong of course).
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bronica SQ (6x6) series has a polariod back.

Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin