Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,296   Online: 860

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Recommended SLR's?

Hey, I'm new here.

I've been using a medium format TLR (Yashica LM) for a while now, but I'd like to get myself an SLR.

I'm looking for something with autofocus that is relatively inexpensive (though price isn't that much of an issue). What would you recommend?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Nikon F100.

I'm sure the Canon users will speak up now. HA!
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    sorry, I meant a medium format SLR

however, I'll probably end up getting myself a 35mm SLR, so thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only AF SLRs in MF I know of are the Mamiya 645 and Pentax 645. Otherwise you're in manual focus land.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lancelottjones View Post
    I'm looking for something with autofocus that is relatively inexpensive (though price isn't that much of an issue). What would you recommend?
    If cost is really not a driver, then consider getting a MF MF [Manual Focus Medium Format, for those without an LOAA] such as a Hasselblad. It is still manufactured and it has [nearly] complete upward and downward compatibilty of components. Later, if you choose, you can add a digital back and not have to replace all the equipment you brought.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Relatively inexpensive is the tough part. I guess it depends on what is relatively inexpensive to you. KEH has a Mamiya 645 AF (their first model) with lens for about $530 and an AFD for about $900. The manual focus models will be quite a bit cheaper, or for similar money you could go into something like a used Hasselblad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rollei 6008AF is autofocus. You can afford the system if you have a nice car to sell

I think you need to think this through. Do you really need AF for medium format (MF). E.g., Its unlikely you will be hand holding a MF SLR and chasing after toddlers.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many of the MF slrs are light enough to hand hold and chase. How many people would have problems with a Pentax 645 handheld?

I just checked and the AF Pentax 645 latest model is lighter then the first manual focus model.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We use the Mamiya 645AFD II here at work. It's not that large, actually, and fairly light. You could easily run about with it.

We use it tethered for photographing manuscripts using a PhaseOne digital back, rather than with film, but the basic ergonomics of the camera are good and the lenses seem excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Light + big mirror = VIBRATION. Yes, you can hand hold it but are your photos sharp? I'd rather have a sharp 35mm slide than a blurry MF trannie.

That's certainly my experience. The SL66 is good to about 1/60 with a normal lens, but only because it has a very soft mirror slap and the camera is quite heavy. Its still hit and miss sometimes. With Hasselblad, most including myself have vibration issues unless shooting 1/125 or higher.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin