Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,777   Online: 1016

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Images
    Mamiya made a sheet film back for their C-33. I had three of their holders but not the back.
    I go the other way and regularly use a Singer/Graflex rollfilm back on my 4x5 view. I'd love to find a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 sheet film view or Press camera.
    Last edited by Flotsam; 05-27-2007 at 01:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And you have those Linhof Technikas in 6x9cm…
    Their most advanced (and most ugly) `70´ is a coupled rangefinder dropbed camera with telescopic bed extension, front rise/shift/base tilt and back swing/tilt.
    (Horseman was inspired by this range too.)

Not cheap though…

Smaller camera, larger format: those Polaroid coupled rangefinders, modified to take a 4x5 back. You could try mounting such a back yourself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    See www.littman45single.com he's an APUG sponsor and makes marvelous camara's!
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I shoot 4x5" and even 5x7" handheld, but the Linhof Tech 23 cameras and the Tech 70 are very nicely designed for handheld shooting, providing the option of movements when used with a tripod.

Try to find one with three cammed lenses, so you can use them with the rangefinder. Earlier Tech III versions would be difficult to calibrate to new lenses. I asked Richard Ritter about it (he makes cams for 4x5" Tech III's), and he recommended just trying to find a kit with cammed lenses and using those lenses. Later Tech 70, Tech IV, and Tech V versions should still be cammable with new lenses by Marflex, but it can take a while. My Tech V 23b has been at Marflex for weeks awaiting a blank cam (on the Tech 23 the cam has three lobes for three lenses) from the factory.

It is still possible to order a new one, but Bob Salomon posted a while back on the LF forum that there were about 6 of the bodies left at that time (about a year ago, if I remember correctly), and that they weren't planning any more. Since the camera still is advertised, I'm guessing they must not sell more than one or two a year if that.

The Tech Press 6x9 camera currently in the APUG classifieds, by the way, is a very nice camera with rear tilt and swing, and it can use sheet film. Because it has helical focusing instead of a bellows like the other versions, it has no front movements, rise/fall, or shift, but the lenses designed for this camera don't have large image circles to support that kind of use anyway. You might think of it as being like a Mamiya 7 with rear movements, interchangeable backs, and the options of groundglass focusing and sheet film.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 05-28-2007 at 06:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I might be in over my head...or about to make another learning leap. I'll start checking out some of these options. As always, I'm impressed by the breadth & depth of knowledge here.

Many thanks!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Bill Orford (Google him) can usually peen and recut cams for the same focal lengths. He's done it for me several times.

With 'baby' Linhofs, the Tech IV and later have a simple 1-lever removal of the backs; III and earlier have a poisonous, slow, fingernail-breaking 4-slider system.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Large Format
    9X12cm plate camera with sheetfilm adapters are very small and light.

I love my Voigtlander Avus 9X12cm plate camera for handheld work and traveling. It has a 90/6.3 Augulon adapted to it and a flash shoe to hold a viewfinder (modern Voigtlander finder for 28mm lenses on 35mm camera's.) I will even use the wire finder sometimes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot sheet film on my Mamiya RB67 using 2x3 Grafmatics. I like the system so much, it's all I use smaller than 8x10.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    I shoot sheet film on my Mamiya RB67 using 2x3 Grafmatics. I like the system so much, it's all I use smaller than 8x10.
    juan
    Inneresting idea. While i am not always fond of messin' with those little pieces of film, it would give better exposure control over 120.

Might be time to load up the Grafmatic.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of course, it doesn't shoot the entire 6x9 image area, but it's longer than the 6x7 one gets with the 120 roll film back. Probably about 6x8 image area.
    juan

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin