Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,467   Posts: 1,570,727   Online: 1063

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

smaller sheet film cameras?

I wonder if there are sheet film cameras using something smaller--that I could use handheld? With high-quality? And purchasable for a song?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Smaller sheet film? Or do you mean smaller cameras?

The 4x5 press cameras were intended to be handheld.

They made smaller format sheet film cameras to. But these will harder to find film and holders for. Not impossible just harder.

I want to say some companies made sheet film backs for MF cameras but I can't remember exactly who at the moment.

Cost varies with all the choices. Collector items are expensive. Lesser brands can be very cheap.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The camera I have that fits that description best, is my 6.5x9cm Voigtländer Bergheil with a 120mm f:4.5 Heliar lens.

They tend to cost a bit more than a song though...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    I want to say some companies made sheet film backs for MF cameras but I can't remember exactly who at the moment.
    Good memory, Nick... here's a bit more: Rollei made 2.35 x 3.25 inch sheet film back for their TLR. There were two versions - old and older

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Graphic camera's are small, cheaper and certainly usable handheld. Probably best used with the wire frame finder and set to hyperfocal distances. The GG is a little small for my old eye's, but usable. If your willing to carry more weight, the RB/RZ's can utilize cut film holders and have the nice back and right side up screen. 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 film I believe is still available or you can cut your own or use a rollfilm back.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is a sheetfilm back for the Rolleiflex SL66 in size 2x3 and of cause the Grafics already mentioned. I own a small Crown Grafic so I can tell you that the groundglass is as usable as the ones of af any MF reflex camera are. You need a loupe and a dark cloth to focus though.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's hard to beat a 9x12 Patent Etui. The most compact large format camera out there. Make sure to get one with a rim-set shutter, a Tessar lens and at least three film holders. Finding extra film holders is the hardest part. Here is a shot taken with mine:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...0&ppuser=10452
    "There are two ways to avoid most trouble in life: live below your means... and within your seams."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    It's hard to beat a 9x12 Patent Etui. The most compact large format camera out there. Make sure to get one with a rim-set shutter, a Tessar lens and at least three film holders. Finding extra film holders is the hardest part. Here is a shot taken with mine:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...0&ppuser=10452
    Along those lines, my smallest sheet film camera is a Zeiss Trona, 1927, with a 3x4 springback/GG slid in the film guides in the back. 135/4.5 Tessar, Compur shutter.

With the sudden loss (again) of access to 3x4 film though, it's not too practical to shoot a lot with it.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Even smaller are the 645 plate cameras - mine has a 7,5cm Isconar.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember lusting after a Galvin 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 view camera during my youth.
    Of course, I probably was thinking about using a roll film back with it.

Does anyone here have experience with those?

Matt

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin