Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,102   Online: 1002

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hassleblad back CLA at home?

The Hasselblad 2000 recently purchased off eBay is already at H-USA for repair (David Odess doesn't work on the 2000 series). Meanwhile, I'm wondering if I can do-it-yourself clean and lube my two A-12 backs. I'm fairly good at mechanicals, but I don't want to pop off the screws and have a whole mess of springs and gears fly out on their own. The seals are OK, so any advice?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently saw someone offering an A12 service manual on the auction thing.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=012

Seems like it would be a good place to start.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Vincent, was that pun in the title of your post intended? (Well, it could have been worse...)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Aqx...not only was no pun intended, but I am puzzled at what words appear to be the pun--you have a better eye than I do! I am asking, though, if a fairly mechanical person should attempt to clean and lube an A-12 back at home, rather than sending off to a shop. I didn't want to open it up and discover it looks like a watch in there, and can't put it back together. What do you think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Frazzetta View Post
    Aqx...not only was no pun intended, but I am puzzled at what words appear to be the pun--you have a better eye than I do!
    I chuckled a bit too. I believe that the "pun" comment refers to the mis-spelling of 'Hasselblad' and the implication that doing one's own repair work might be a "hassle".

I'm a bit of a D-I-Y repairman and wouldn't worry too much about flying springs or gears. I would, however, seek out a repair manual... or at least a good exploded diagram before tearing it down.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Brian...aha! No, that was simply a mistake, though I must admit to some repressed feelings along that line. OK, your post has nudged me toward giving it a try. If all else fails, I'm sure I can toss the remnants in a plastic bag, and get someone to put Humpy-Dumpty together again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although many people are of the DIY bent, my general feeling is-- "If it ain't broke, don't mess with it"
    The A12 backs aren't complicated, All the moving bits are in the film holder section. If you want to take a look around in there go ahead. Most problems tend to be spacing related and at that point you need a new nylon stop to solve the problem. Lubrication tends to be a spot of oil on rotating surfaces. Keep it light.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Vincent, I can truly understand your feelings. I’m too one of these guys who grew up with the screwdriver in their hand; but still there is that inherent fear to have a Jack-in-the-box encounter with some part shooting out when opening. With no trace of where it ones belonged…

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ...many thanks to all who responded...one member even sent me a repair manual via email, and I marveled at all the parts in this contraption, so I now have a better appreciation of the engineering and the original high price of the A-12...OK, hammer and screwdriver in hand, take a deep breath...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin