Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,670   Online: 1097

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Well Ann,

I'm going to be trying to teach my daughter (19 years old) to photograph using my old Zeiss Ikon Nettar (6x4.5) folder. Your experience with the student isn't very encouraging, but I'll certainly be able to test whether I taught her the right values ... no pain, no gain! (Yeah, I am serious about that being one of my values! Hey, where's my self-flaggelation instrument? )

I've got a Mamiya Press too ... love the thing BECAUSE of the rangefinder ...
    Joffre Swait
    My Webpage

If you think that's bad. I tried explaining to a guy the sunny 16 rule. When he figured out that I used 100asa film and that meant 1/100 shutter speeds at f/16 he was shocked and wanted to know how it was possible to get any sort of good picture at that SLOW speed.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hey - more folder users!

I almost thought I was the last one! 30 years ago I took my first photograps with my father's old Welta (35mm) folder. I soon bought a SLR, and stuck to that for far too long. Then, about 13 years ago, I came across a Zeiss Ikon Nettar - and bought it.
    To make a long story short, I sold it again a few years later when I bought my first LF camera. And would you guess it - it's a folder! While not exactly pocket size, a 5x7 linhof Technika definitely folds

I then found out there was nothing wrong with having several old cameras - one of my colleauges has seven old cars, my hobby is cheap by comparison! So now I have three MF folders: A Nettar, a Perkeo, and (whatsit - memory slipping) a japanese one...

I use them all, possibly because I like the effect when someone comments on the size of my 5x7. I pull up a folder from my pocket, and say:"When it gets too heavy, I hava a baby here)...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

I recently purchased a Moscow 5 folder. I have quite a few other cameras, my "main" kit being a 4x5 field system. I also have an Olympus OM 35mm system and my MF gear is Kiev 88cm with a mix of Arsenal and Zeiss lenses.

I picked up the Moscow to have a portable camera with which I could still make big negatives. I have had excellent luck with the Kiev gear (contrary to many others' experiences) so I wasn't put off by purchasing the camera from someone in Moscow. The price was great ($39 including shipping).

I have been using it for a little over a month now and so far it is a great folder. The lens is sharp and contrasty (single coated) and the shutter seems accurate. Mine came with the 6x6 mask but I have been using it in 6x9 mode. (Did I mention I like big negatives?) It has quickly become a favorite. I drop it in my coat pocket whenever I leave the house. When spring finally gets here it will make an ideal bicycling camera.

Sherman

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Zenobia!

That's it. My third (or was it fourth?) folder!

And I've just bought a Voigtländer Tourist 9x12 folding plate camera...
    Norway

Moskva 5 and an Ansco Comander Both are 6x9

The MosKva 5 is a great camera but a little heavy. The presure plate on mine was a bit weak so I added a thin bit of foam behind it to give it a bit more pressure and keep the film flat. Works great. The singl coated lens is very sharp. Rainger finder works fine, but I have never put it to a cirtical test.

The Commander has got to be one of the lightest 6x9 cameras ever made. It has a three element lens and is single coated. Zone focusing, but only a limited selection of shutter speeds. They are my point and shoot 6x9's, although they are occasionally mounted on a tripod.
    Push your limits regularly!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just got a 6x6 Zeis Ikon Ikonta with the 3.5 75mm lens. Paint's a bit scratched off in places and it seems to have had the back replaced with a 6x9 back. I'm not sure what that will do as the pressure plate being oversized would sit on the thin rollers on the sides of the frame. I'm going to put a roll through it and see what happens. Everything else seems in fine shape.
    Gary Beasley

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    *Bump*

for Jenny
    Norway

While I have used (and still use) more than my fare share of folders, I still rather like earlier equipment. The number of folders I have used can be said as quite staggering, and for 35mm I still use a Voigtlander "bomb-door" Vitessa L, but nowadays I get 120 films sliced down to make my own 127 for feeding my small arsenal of 127 folders by Certo, Kochmann, Welta, etc.

But I still like to use earlier equipment; I might be one of the few who use Voigtlander Petzval lenses on a regular basis, and the large-format lenses I use are much in the Wisner league!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ole, Thanks for Bumping this - 'for Jenny'. I have a Voigtlander Bessa I, that I have had for about a year and have not used. Came in the original box, plus has a nice case and the instructions were still in the box, along with the mask to make it a 6x4.5 or can be used as a 6x9 - which is why I got it in the first place.

Anyone else using one of these?
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin