Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,783   Online: 857

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    127 Format
    You can check out some of Seele's 127 folders on my site (along with his historical info). He's got a really nice collection!

I've got a kershaw raven 120 which is pretty nice - I got it for 3 pounds, as it had been dropped, and the back has a large chunk of bakerlite missing (which I have to tape over). I haven't used it much but the results have a very smooth, soft (but still sharp!) look.

My Kodak VP has a dead shutter, which kind of put me off folders for a while, but I just picked up a Foth Derby (127 half frame) and can't wait to get out and try that. The focal plane shutter is just about working (it took a bit of coaxing to get it running but seems OK now), though the second curtain has a few tiny holes, so I'll need to lens cap it when its not being used. If the results are good I may find out how much a repair would be...

Ian

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just a little update: My father recently donated his Welta Welti to me - so now I'm the proud owner and user of that too!
    Seele, I knew that Welta made other sizes - but not that anyone else used them

The Voigtländer Tourist I thought I had bought turned out to be a Voigtländer Bergheil 9x12cm - with 150mm Heliar lens! Lucky me

I've got me a Bessa too. 6x9 negatives are great - and fun to make cyanotypes from!

My latest aquisition is yet to arrive; a 18x24cm "Reisekamera", probably German, possibly old.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Ian,

Thanks for your kind words; I am putting some brand-new 127 Plus-X through these cameras, fingers crossed!

As you are in the UK, speaking of Kershaw reminded me of a few of their other products. The "bird" series such as Penguin, Curlew, Peregrine, etc covered a wide range of specification levels, I feel sure that a Peregrine II or III would still be a very potent machine for picture taking. Once I had two Curlews (6X9) with Taylor-Hobson lenses in their own Talykron shhutters and they were stunning; too had I got a little too tempted when someone waved a rather large stack of money in front of me...

The later Kershaws of 6X6 formats after its acquision by GB (Gaumont-Britain) were a little less capable in the imaging department, top model had a f/4.5 lens, the intermediate one with a f/6.3. I had a f/6.3 version and I loved the shutter release which is integrated as part of the baseboard; you squeeze it and it clicks, vibrationless. Too bad the on-film image got a little fuzzy approaching the corners of the negative though.

Shooter
    127 Format
    The kershaw names have to make you wonder... Peregrine, Raven fair enough but you've got to ask yourself what sort of person thought that Penguin was a good name for their new product! I'm surprised there was never a Kershaw Dodo...

The Raven seems to be one of the rarer ones (at least compared to Penguins are pretty common) though not particulary high quality. It's got a f/6.3 Kershaw Astigmat lens which seems pretty nice. It 6x9 and very useable.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Zeis Ikonta 521 (6x4.5) and a Crown Graphic Special (4x5) at the moment.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have an Agfa folder that takes 6x9 images. Taped up a bunch of holes in teh bellows about a month ago and took it out for a shoot. Well it takes wonderful pics, but I didn't find all the leaks as I had a significant number of light streaks.

Not the sharpest lense I've used but it imparts a very neat "feel" to the pics. I will try it again when I have some time.

Maybe I can convince Ian to scan one of the negs for me so I can share it with you all.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favorite folder is an early 1900's beautiful brown leather covered Ansco. Unfortunately it uses 116 film. I know some 116 cameras have been modified to use 120 film, but I have not figured out how to know when to stop winding for each exposure and I don't want to cut a hole in the back of a collector camera. I have ordered a 1930's Zeiss Nettar 4.5x6 folder which I hope to fix up to be usable.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I noticed some mention of Graflex folders. While in the Navy many years ago , I was assigned a Graflex Super Speed. If I could afford yet another camera today, this would be the folder I would want to own. Might do that in the future. Means that I would have to upgrade the darkroom and also load my own film holders. O Well something to look foward to in the years to come.

Images
    I have an Iskra, and while the build quality is suspect, it's capable of nice shots. My favorite, though, is a $30.00 Zeiss Nettar 517/16 w/a slow lens and guess focus. But that uncoated optic has a definite "look." I can get those pearly skin tones more easily with it than any of my other cameras. Plus, it's tiny when folded up, and is a lovely bit of workmanship.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two more folder nuts here - we have over 30 now but the Perkeo's and Bessa's are the ones I like best

Jenny.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin