Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,653   Posts: 1,668,803   Online: 945

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rolleiflex 3.5T focusing problem .. ?

Hello,

My "new" rolleflex 3.5T arived just 2 days ago. Although the seller described it as: "clean and in full working order" - I found out that although the camera look beautifull and everything seems to work fine - apart from the focusing. Although is i smooth - it is off. I can not focuse to infinity. The close focusing of ~ 3 feet seems OK, but then once I start to focuse towards infinity the focusing scale runs faster than what I see in the viewfinder - so I guess there is some missaligment.

Of course I already contacted the seller (the item was sold with 1 year guarantee !) but would like to ask what kind of problem it might be and what kind of price should I expect in the case that the ony option the seller would offer me would be to return the camera (which I do not want ! - the camera is really in beautifull condition otherwise).

thanks

Matus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My understanding is that both lenses can be adjusted by a repair person for focus. They put a ground glass plate where on the film rails (the part that the film rests against, and they can adjust the lens forward and back until everything is sharp. Sometimes this needs to be done, for example, when you change to an aftermarket viewing screen. I'm not sure how much this'll cost, as some Rollei repair people will only do a full CLA.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It could be a very simple adjustment and there is a columnater (sp?) instrument that is more critically correct than glassing a ground glass on the back of the lens.

I have just gotten a Rollei FX that the focus is also off and I have talked to Harry Fleenor (reknowned Rollei repair in US) about it. He says it is the rare Rollei that isn't off somewhat. He installs the Maxwell bright screen and does the focus adjustment as part of the installation.

Dennis Purdy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. Let's see waht the sellers opinion is, but if you could advice me for a reapir in GERMANY around Frankfurt (that's where I am located now) it might be helpfull...

matus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Rolleiflex T that I sent for a full-through CLA. It came back like a new camera, good for another 50 years. It is well worth the extra money for a full through CLA.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could always call Rolleiflex to get an estimate. See: http://www.rollei.com/

Foto- und Filmgeräte Service GmbH
    Petzvalstraße 56a
    38104 Braunschweig
    Telefon 05 31/ 23 72 50
    Email info@ffs-service.de

Shooter
    Large Format
    Check to see if the focussing screen is installed upside down... the matte surface should be facing down (towards the mirror).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    - j -

Thanks a lot - I will have a look. This should be easy to check and if it is the case also to repair.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    - j -

You were RIGHT !!! That was the problem. Somebody just installed the focusing screen upside down. I have jsut turned it and now it wors great!
    And how much easier it is now to use ! I am happy happy happy ...

Thank you very much.

Also I was a bit surprised to find out that the focusing screen is plastic - I expected it to be made from glass. Anyhow - it works quite fine and I do not have a need for brighter one (not yet ). It has a grid and and splitt screen focusing. I am running my ffirst film through (Velvia 100 for thesting) - I will let you know how it turned out .

P.S. Is there anybody out there willing to sell one bayonet I lens cap? I just can't find any.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Forget the lenscap, get a Bay 1 hood. It is critical for shooting and provides adequate protection. Should find one for around $25. I have 2 flexes and 2 cords all with hoods on all the time. I think I have one lenscap but have honestly never used it when traveling or even sending cameras in for a CLA.

Most of all enjoy it, shoot LOTS of film, the more you use a TLR the better you get at learning and exploiting its quirks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin