Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,959   Posts: 1,523,054   Online: 1155

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Medium format story

I was in the park the other day and saw two photographers leaving their wedding party and as they passed I yelled, "Where are your RZ's?" They replied, "What's an RZ?" I said, "You know, Mamiya RZ 67 (medium format cameras)?" They replied, Oh! We had Hassleblads and we just bought these (digitals) recently." I said proudly, " I just bought a Mamiya RZ 67 and..." One of them interrupted me saying, "YOU JUST BOUGHT A FILM CAMERA?" I smiled and said, "Yep!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I actually saw a wedding party out in the Boston Public Gardens recently being shot with RB67s. That's a big clunker to carry around for location shooting, but it was nice to see.
    Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I love film but I sure would like to have a digital back for my Contax 645. Great for checking composition and exposure and I'd have a file to put in online galleries and to send to my family back in Canada. It's the best of both worlds but, alas, digital backs are still too expensive for me.
    Is it sacrilege to wish for a digital accessory here?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh, how dearly I love my RB.

And in case somebody is in a vacuum and hasn't discovered it yet... the finest new RB lenses are going for zilch, particularly in Europe. Will any UK members be traveling to the US with space for a lens for me? There is such a big markup on Mamiya gear in the US. (I know, I know, I was just involved in a thread on the ill effects of the grey market...)

P.S. It's not a crime to wish for a digital back, I mean, it is an alternative to polaroid before taking your proper film exposures.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The style for wedding photography has changed. It used to be that you set up and shot a relatively small number of scenes and the produced an album of about 25 8X10 pictures, finely printed on Y (silk) surfaced paper, that told the wedding story. 4X5 press cameras and medium format cameras were the mainstay of that work, with an emphasis lasting quality. Now couples demand a more candid approach for their wedding photos. There are few set and posed shots, and the couple wants maybe a hundred pictures, usually on a CD. They also want color and they want everything now, not in three weeks. They may want a very few prints, and they may want sume bulk 4X6 prints for friends. That sort of work is much better served by digital. I have one friend who still uses a RB67 for the very predictable poses (cutting the cake and the like), but even he does the bulk of his work in digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I had to do a wedding I would do it in digital. I did weddings and didn't like it. I did my first one with a pro and he used a 4x5 Speed Graphic and I used a 2 1/4. His turned out like shit and mine were the ones used and it saved the whole shoot. The last wedding I went to the photographer used a digital camera. My son had class photographs taken last month and they were digital. I imagine in the grind of that kind of business digital is the answer. We selected the pictures right after the shoot, on some nice big monitors. It felt kind of cheap and uncooth though. It kills film in a huge way and that's very very sad. It takes a hell of a photographer to shoot film portraits and class pictures. Read what Edward Weston and others have to say about portrait sittings and class pictures and Ansel Adams had some comments too.

Wedding photographers are a special breed, you have to get the shots, no excuses no screwups, you can't do it over. In fact the only other time I heard that was in Radiation Therapy school. You can't go back and retreat the patient. Once the patient is overexposed that's it, there is no second chance.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    If I had to do a wedding I would do it in digital. I did weddings and didn't like it. I did my first one with a pro and he used a 4x5 Speed Graphic and I used a 2 1/4. His turned out like shit and mine were the ones used and it saved the whole shoot. The last wedding I went to the photographer used a digital camera. My son had class photographs taken last month and they were digital. I imagine in the grind of that kind of business digital is the answer. We selected the pictures right after the shoot, on some nice big monitors. It felt kind of cheap and uncooth though. It kills film in a huge way and that's very very sad. It takes a hell of a photographer to shoot film portraits and class pictures. Read what Edward Weston and others have to say about portrait sittings and class pictures and Ansel Adams had some comments too.

Wedding photographers are a special breed, you have to get the shots, no excuses no screwups, you can't do it over. In fact the only other time I heard that was in Radiation Therapy school. You can't go back and retreat the patient. Once the patient is overexposed that's it, there is no second chance.

When you boil it all down, it's all a matter of work flow. We live in the "instant age". Folks have digis in their cell phones and carry a digi P&S etc. and know one can just download "images" in an instant.

So even with what are "life events" they want instancy (and a lot of pics - no matter how good they might be).

Funny thing - my brother and sister-in-law recently did a 25th anniversary vow renewal ceremony. They hired a nice young fellow to take the pics. He arrived with a top of the line Canon DSLR (I don't know the model # - doesn't matter anyway).

He took a ton of shots. At times, he blew his batteries and had to miss things while swapping them out.

I carried a little Nikon N85 film slr that's easy to use since it has a built-in flash. I shot a bunch of rolls and we gave some prints to my brother and sister-in-law. Now they are clamoring for more! They even want my scanned negatives!

Meanwhile, they're still waiting for the "pro" to deliver prints.

But he's a digi guy and has better work flow than me!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ha! The world has changed! I shoot all the formal shots digital (w/flash) and all the candids with a Leica (film if you please). Workflow is not an issue as most folks can wait two weeks (as they have done from the beginning of time).

I provide a DVD movie made from stills (80% shot with the Leica) and a disk from which the customers can make their own prints. Yes, making the movie is very time consuming (workflow in the digtal world is hell too).

Almost all my customers are happy with the DVD and no one complains that I don't offer an album of prints. Most folks just don't want it after they see the 5 minute DVD presentation of 70+ shots rolling by.

Shooter
    35mm
    I currently shoot weddings with a couple of DSLR's (Nikon D1X's-old technology by today's standards), however I still shoot the engagement shots with 120 film.

Recently I have reconsidered this approach because I had some rolls of the engagement ruined by the lab. Luckily I had shot backups with my DSLR. I was quite saddened by this. I have had rolls ruined in the past at other labs, but this time I noticed that this particular lab has been making way too many mistakes. My guess is that they are printing from digital files and have become "rusty" when it comes to developing color 120 film. It boils down to the lack of demand now.

As Curt mentioned above, wedding photographers have to get the shots, no screw ups. I have had an issue with a corrupt card at a wedding, but I learned to work around that by using multiple cards with less memory (not to mention several back up DSLR bodies all set to the same settings ready for immediate use or replacement). The idea is not to store all your eggs in one basket. Kind of like shooting 120 film with a 645 instead of 220.

I still use my 645's and my RB for my personal fun stuff and artistic images. It is what helps me keep my creative interest alive. I enjoy using my RB even though it weighs 7 pounds with the metered CDS prism attatched! I see my DSLR's as work tools that get the job done. My DSLR's are kept in the bag until the next wedding assignment. They don't get taken out for any type of non work shooting. I don't see them as "fun" cameras, just tools that get the job done effectively and quickly.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Digital seems to be "good enough" and that's all people seem to want these days -- "good enough."

So wedding photographers follow suit and shoot what's good enough and don't worry about ultimate quality. You don't see many 16 x 20 wedding portraits on walls, and 8 x 10 is about the largest you see these days, sometimes 11 x 14. A 5MP digital file should be sufficient for 8 x 10 and the occasional 11 x 14.

Personally, being the wedding photographer is enough work. Then going back and becoming the photo lab as well as you process hundreds of files can't be any bundle of fun. Newspapers did this with pagination, in which the layout editors also became the composing room. Saved the company a lot of money by being able to fire the entire composing rooms and proof-readers. But the tradeoff has been an increase in errors ... but it's been "good enough."

A woman at a wedding I attended last week said she was at a wedding, and the photographer shot digital. He took hundreds of photos during the ceremony, which annoyed the guests because she said the constant click-click-click of the shutter was too much for a church ceremony. Just because you can doesn't always mean you should.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin