Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,141   Online: 902

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    I have searched and searched and I just can't find this accessory. I am looking for a filter that improves the composition of the photograph just prior to the shutter activation.

I have looked at the threads that list books on composition. Frankly, I do not want to sit around reading a book on composition. I want it to happen and happen now!

I cannot find this filter at Tiffen, Hoya, Kenko, Domke, Steadicam, Saunders, Zing, Tokina, Cokin, Sunpak, Heliopan and B&W.

Please advise!

Steve
    I had a digital version once. It was great while it worked but
    it faded to clear glass after about a year.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    I have searched and searched and I just can't find this accessory. I am looking for a filter that improves the composition of the photograph just prior to the shutter activation.
    There is such a filter, but it's been listed as a controlled substance by the FDA.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sales of the composition filter were stopped in anticipation of the robot digital camera with a built-in library of thousands of classic photos. The photographer would take it to a likely site, set it on the ground, and turn it on. It would scoot around, rotate, extend up and down, and take the best possible photos, judging from its library. When it was done, it would signal the photographer who would transport it to the next site and repeat the operation. At the end of the day, the photographer would download the many masterpieces and post them on other photo websites. The robot could even update its library from the robot images of other robot cameras. The photographer wouldn't have to strain his mind at all, but early versions of the robot camera might strain his back with all of that transporting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a lens cap to improve composition rather than a filter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Are you referring to the preview filters that Zone VI produced a number of years ago. About 3" diameter disks with lanyard that had filtered cutouts for 35mm, 4x5, etc.? Allowed one to preview composition and the filter gave some indication of contrast ratios.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "Composing" a photograph was a vastly overrated activity that use to plague the now gratefully-extinct "traditional" photographers who use to use that iccky "film" stuff. They were so hung up on things like the "Rule of Thirds" and stuff. It was really a boring time back then.

As everyone now knows, composition is easily accomplished by simply "aiming" your cellphone in the general direction of the picture you would like. This technique is regularly demonstrated at arenas and stadia wherein thousands of accomplished photographers "click" happily away at the performers or athletes down below them!

So today, unlike those darkroom ages, we do not need concern ourselves with composition. Thus, "composing filters" (a.k.a. the photographer's "eye") have been tossed into the dustbin of history.

Aren't we all so much better off now?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Aspen View Post
    Are you referring to the preview filters that Zone VI produced a number of years ago. About 3" diameter disks with lanyard that had filtered cutouts for 35mm, 4x5, etc.? Allowed one to preview composition and the filter gave some indication of contrast ratios.
    So that's what its for - I thought it was a filter to make the scene look an ugly drab olive green - and give you an indication of how badly the photograph will come out. As someone already pointed out the nice picture filter, the rose colored one, never made it out of the Newfane workshops.

Mike

JJC

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Sales of the composition filter were stopped in anticipation of the robot digital camera with a built-in library of thousands of classic photos. The photographer would take it to a likely site, set it on the ground, and turn it on. It would scoot around, rotate, extend up and down, and take the best possible photos, judging from its library. When it was done, it would signal the photographer who would transport it to the next site and repeat the operation. At the end of the day, the photographer would download the many masterpieces and post them on other photo websites. The robot could even update its library from the robot images of other robot cameras. The photographer wouldn't have to strain his mind at all, but early versions of the robot camera might strain his back with all of that transporting.
    Nah........ Really?........ That could never happen....... Could it?........
    I'm getting scared!
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Jim Horning

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JJC View Post
    Nah........ Really?........ That could never happen....... Could it?........
    I'm getting scared!
    On the Internet, nobody knows you're a robot--they may already be here on APUG!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin