Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,645   Online: 980

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

agfa billy question

just purchased an agfa billy record.curious to know if i could swap another lens onto it.the mount looks too small for a normal shutter and it wouldnt close but i would be willing to cut out the lens cover so a front element could protrude out.i would lose the tripod mount but i dont care.any suggestions.has anyone done this.it is a 6x9 model with a anastigmat jgestar 7.7 lens..actually the more i look at it the less i think it is possible.the shutter has the focus built into it.well if anyone has an opinion let me know.it will be just as fun to shoot this stock im sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rkmiec View Post
    just purchased an agfa billy record.curious to know if i could swap another lens onto it.the mount looks too small for a normal shutter and it wouldnt close but i would be willing to cut out the lens cover so a front element could protrude out.i would lose the tripod mount but i dont care.any suggestions.has anyone done this.it is a 6x9 model with a anastigmat jgestar 7.7 lens..actually the more i look at it the less i think it is possible.the shutter has the focus built into it.well if anyone has an opinion let me know.it will be just as fun to shoot this stock im sure.
    Well, it's like this.

You can replace it with any other 105mm lens off a folder. You would have to set up a temporary ground glass, perhaps out of Scotch magic tape, to confirm the accuracy of the focus, especially at infinity. You might have to make spacers out of paper to adjust the focus of the lens to the camera body. I would recommend a 105 Tessar in a Compur shutter if you can find one.

Check them bellows for leaks.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rkmiec View Post
    just purchased an agfa billy record.curious to know if i could swap another lens onto it.
    If you have a fine billy with lighttight bellows and a nice shutter (Prontor-S or better) but a scratched or hazy lens swapping the front and rear sections with the ones from another billy from the same era is a piece of cake. I wouldn't try to mount anything else as the lenses aren't all that bad (a well stopped down Apotar is good enough for almost everything) and billys are cheap.

best

Stefan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have done this, swapping out a 105mm for a better 105mm with a Synchro Compur shutter. The main thing to watch out for is paper shims under the lens/shutter assembly.

When you check focus with your make-up ground glass, you want to try two or more distances. Don't expect the stock distance mountings on your donor lens to be accurate. When I did the two I have, I checked infinity focus, 10m focus, and 3m focus. After that, I set the distance scale on the focus ring, and fastened it. Then one more check to verify distance marks.

It helps to use another front cell rotating to focus replacement lens. Trying to fit a more modern 105mm would work, but without the front element focus, your set-up will only be correct for one distance.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin