Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,755   Online: 940

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

RH10 Roll Film and Overlap

Hi there....
    I'm struggling with my first use of a roll film back (on a graflex XLSW). I think I've got the loading questions resolved, now my problem is that I'm experiencing about 1/4 inch or more of frame overlap on every shot.

I'd love to hear that this is operator error....

Any ideas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It might not be operator error. Did this work at one point? If not, where did you obtain the film holder? It could be that you have RH8 parts used to fix an RH10 holder. Overlap will happen. It is or can be common to have mismatched parts used to repair these holders as spares are not exactly easy to find. Or there could be some gears that need replacing in the wind on mechanism.

One other route to take would be to call Fred Lustig. He is likely the only spares source left. He fixed a 6x9 Graflex / subsea back I had. Someone had 'fixed' the film rollers. Film rolled to tight as a result. He made new needle rollers from scratch and it was minimal cost. He can be reached at 775 746 0111, and here is another link http://www.graflex.org/news/lustig.html with information about him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I forgot to ask, is the overlap the same on each shot, or does it get offset more or less as each frame is wound?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Hi Andrew,
    The back is new for me. It came with a Graflex XLSW I picked up recently.
    From what I can tell, both the internals and externals are intended for 6x7.
    What I didn't mention, because I did not realize it might be related, is that I did not load the film properly. I did not advance it enough to start and shot the first few frames on the paper instead of film.
    I'm being told now that would affect spacing. So I'm hopeful that the second roll (being processed) will give better results. I think I loaded that one correctly.
    The overlap was not constant, but I don't remember if it got better or worse as it went along.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, try one more roll, and see how it works out. If there are still problems, I would call Fred.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Looks like it was operator error.
    The second roll, which I advanced too far before starting, has extra large spacing.
    Maybe the third time will be the charm.

Thanks for the help.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin