Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,871   Online: 1094

Thread: Mamiya 330

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya 330

Hi,

I'm seriously considering getting a Mamiya TLR as a re-entry to MF (the long march to LF continues). One thing that I like about SLRs is the ability to expose at 1/2 or 1/3 stop increments.
    Can anyone advise if it possible to get 1/2 stop increments out of the Mamiya 330 lenses? I know the shutter speeds and apertures are in 1 stop increments but I was wondering if it was possible to set them to a position halfway (or third of the way for that matter) between stops.

regards,
    Thanasis

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    apertures can be set at continuos points between whole numbers...btw,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The shutters are whole stops - strictly mechanical.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, the shutters are in whole stops. The apertures don't have click stops, so it's easy to set them anywhere between the marked settings. Great cameras, BTW. I have two of them (C220's actually) and the optics are top notch.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanasis View Post
    Hi,

I'm seriously considering getting a Mamiya TLR as a re-entry to MF (the long march to LF continues). One thing that I like about SLRs is the ability to expose at 1/2 or 1/3 stop increments.
    Can anyone advise if it possible to get 1/2 stop increments out of the Mamiya 330 lenses? I know the shutter speeds and apertures are in 1 stop increments but I was wondering if it was possible to set them to a position halfway (or third of the way for that matter) between stops.

regards,
    Thanasis
    I recently had a friend who gave me 2 C330s with 5 lenses and a prism; I love using the camera. The lenses are very sharp and on the whole the camera is easy to operate. I shoot mounted on a tripod only since the cameras are quite hefty. The only problem I have is deciding if I should use the C330 or the Rollei-flex which he also gave to me.

I think working with the TLR reminds me of working with my view cameras as the pace is slow and deliberate.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I sold the C330 with CdS Pentaprism and 65mm, 80mm and 250mm lenses [Paraminder, ....] after I had CLAs done and then shot several rolls. I found the fiddle factor was too great for me. I used the money to buy a Hasselblad with a PME with 50mm, 80mm, and 250mm lenses. I just love what the d------l revolution has done to camera prices ... now if the Leica prices will just come down.

Back on topic ... I am very happy with the Hassy. To me it handles like a large 35mm with a larger and brighter viewing screen than the C330.

It is all about what feels good for you ... a matter of taste.

Buy what you want and enjoy.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    I just love what the d------l revolution has done to camera prices ... now if the Leica prices will just come down.

Steve
    Do you mean digital?

I have some Hasselblad equipment for sale if anyone is interested. PM me and I can send you a list of what I have.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    I recently had a friend who gave me 2 C330s with 5 lenses and a prism; I love using the camera. The lenses are very sharp and on the whole the camera is easy to operate. I shoot mounted on a tripod only since the cameras are quite hefty. The only problem I have is deciding if I should use the C330 or the Rollei-flex which he also gave to me.
    Bloody Nora! I wish I friends like yours
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
    Bloody Nora! I wish I friends like yours
    Well it gets even better than that. He also gave me 3 'Blads with four lenses and several backs and finders!
    Don Bryant

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin