Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,530   Posts: 1,572,469   Online: 1057

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Yashica mat rolleinar question

Hello Everybody
    I have an old yashica mat and stumpled across a yashica close up lens set (x2) in a local second hand shop, and I really want to use these.
    Now I know that they are supposed to be parralax corrected, but to what degree?
    There is no way that it can be completely eliminated, but does it correct it so that parallax is the same as for 1 meter or something like that?
    Best Regards
    Mads

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by loman View Post
    Hello Everybody
    I have an old yashica mat and stumpled across a yashica close up lens set (x2) in a local second hand shop, and I really want to use these.
    There is no way that it can be completely eliminated, but does it correct it so that parallax is the same as for 1 meter or something like that?
    Best Regards
    Mads
    I used a set of Spiratone, el cheapo, CU lenses in the 1960s on a Yashica D, and found, indeed, that the big prism lens for the top finder did a good job of correcting for parallax. I even did copy work of documents and found them ok. I would leave a bit of space completely around the viewfinder image just to be sure there were no egregious framing errors. Try setting up an image on graph paper and check them out.
    Of course, you do not wish to use them for closeups of people, unless you want distortion of facial features.

Anscojohn, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the answer.
    No I'm not gonna take closeups of people, but of toy cars, watches, roses etc. The only problem is that it's for a booklet for this band I'm working with, and I'm shooting tomorrow. It has to have a fifties look to it, so I thought what would be more perfect to use, than my 1957 yashica mat with it's lumaxar lens. I am going to bring my Nikon f3 as a backup just for safety though.
    Best Regards
    Mads

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by loman View Post
    Hello Everybody
    Best Regards
    Mads
    The viewing lens works by giving an image as if it were lower than it actually is by a distance equal to the separation vetween the viewing and taking lenses. Therefore, while not eliminating parallax, which you can do only by viewing through the taking lens, this system does compensate for parallax completely. The only thing to watch is that the viewpoint in the finished picture will still be lower than that seen in the viewfinder (although framing will be fine).

Regards,

David

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin