Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,763   Posts: 1,516,181   Online: 1007

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

$300 and the medium format "itch"

Thinking about getting back into MF photography, so I've been looking around for a good buy on eBay. I've owned a Yashicamat 124G and consider that model pretty safe (assuming no Yashikor lens) but I'm also interested in a Rollei or Rolleiflex camera.

If you had $300 and NO MORE what Rollei would you be looking for? Looking for a recommendation here, as i know little about these cameras but their high reputation.

Would I be better off trying to find a Mamiya or Bronica 645 with 80mm lens and a film back?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Surf over to KEH. Less then $200 will get you a Bronica ETRS with 120 back and 75mm. I'd rather a newer ETRSI but they don't have any in bargain grade. Prices seem to be climbing a little higher to me. Also some stuff seems to be in less supply then before.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I have a Rolleicord IV with a schneider Xenar lens that's very sharp stopped down (nice 16x20's) and has beautiful bokeh for protraits wide open.

Very light, very simple, very little to go wrong. For 300 you could get a good one, a Rolleinar (see Sanders McNew's excellent work in the gallery), a #12 yellow filter and a bay 1 hood.

On the other hand $300 gets you alot of mamiya TLR these days and theyre great but HEAVY but neither this nor the Rollei TLR are SLR's. Being you've used a TLR and I'll assume 35mm SLRs you know the different reasons for using one over the other but I love people's reaction or lack there of to my R'Cord .
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic View Post
    I have a Rolleicord IV with a schneider Xenar lens that's very sharp stopped down (nice 16x20's) and has beautiful bokeh for protraits wide open.

Very light, very simple, very little to go wrong. For 300 you could get a good one, a Rolleinar (see Sanders McNew's excellent work in the gallery), a #12 yellow filter and a bay 1 hood.

On the other hand $300 gets you alot of mamiya TLR these days and theyre great but HEAVY but neither this nor the Rollei TLR are SLR's. Being you've used a TLR and I'll assume 35mm SLRs you know the different reasons for using one over the other but I love people's reaction or lack there of to my R'Cord .
    I'd agree with the Rolleicord suggestion. Only other thing to consider is the potential desire for a prism finder. If so, look for a Rolleicord Vb.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Although my primary MF camera is over your $300 limit (Hassy), I recently picked up a 6x6 Iskra folding camera which is giving me great B&W images in a very nicely compact size. I paid about $100 for the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wasn't someone talking about Mark Hama CLA'd Yashica TLRs on eBay for $200? I would say go there, Mark does fantastic work and this way you'll have a camera ready to go!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Rolleiflex MX-EVS available for $200 plus shipping if you're interested.

-Will

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Great camera and Will is a stand up guy that really knows his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker View Post
    I have a Rolleiflex MX-EVS available for $200 plus shipping if you're interested.

-Will
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Jersey Vic said: a Rolleicord V is light and sturdy and the Xenar is a sweet lens. The only thing is to make sure the screen is not too dim.

Images
    Last year I bought 2 Rolleiflexes, a MX and a MX EVS, off Ebay for $150 each. The MX was cherry. So, there are bargains out there, just be patient and don't get into a bidding frenzy. The MX EVS offered above is a great price considering it's from a forum member you can trust.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin