Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,141   Online: 895

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pentax 67 tool

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pentax 67 tool

My local camera store has lots of Pentax 645 and 67 goodies on their clearance table, and one of the things was described as a metal cockring. Does any body have an idea what this would be used for?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pentax.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What you have there is a shutter cocking key. It's used to trip the shutter with the back open (to check shutter speeds with a lens on etc.) by inserting it into the slot below the wind lever as described on page 11 of the manual. And lucky you for having one...I lost the one that came with my camera at some point along the way, and while not an essential tool by any means, I wish I still had it.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I believe it is used for cocking the shutter if the camera locks up if your battery goes dead in mid shot, IIRC. For the life of me, though, I cant remember where it goes. I have never had to use it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's so you can cock the shutter with the camera back open (although I'm not sure what the purpose of that would be).

If you look at the back, at the top near the hinge, you'll see that there's a little tab that sticks out. That tab goes into a slot in the camera and lets the camera know that the back is closed. If you look at the frame counter on top of the winding lever, there's a little wheel in the middle. If you open the back, you can push down on that little wheel with your thumb and turn it to set the frame counter. If you turn the frame counter past the "1", and hold it there while you either close the back or stick the cocking ring tool into the slot, the counter will stay where you put it once the back is closed or the tool is in the slot. If the counter is turned to the 1 or past the 1, you can cock and fire the shutter without having film in the camera.

It's a good procedure to know if you're buying one, so you can test the shutter before you buy it without having to put film in it. You don't need the tool to do it though unless you want to actually see the shutter working.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by max_ebb View Post
    If you look at the back, at the top near the hinge, you'll see that there's a little tab that sticks out.
    Hmm, I don't see that, but I also have a 67II and the film counter is electronic. perhaps it doesn't apply to my camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    What you have there is a shutter cocking key. It's used to trip the shutter with the back open (to check shutter speeds with a lens on etc.) by inserting it into the slot below the wind lever as described on page 11 of the manual. And lucky you for having one...I lost the one that came with my camera at some point along the way, and while not an essential tool by any means, I wish I still had it.
    I need to learn to type faster. 2 answers were posted while I was typing. You left out the part about the frame counter though. You can't cock the shutter unless you turn the frame counter to or past the 1.

It would be a simple thing to fabricate something to do the same job as that tool.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Hmm, I don't see that, but I also have a 67II and the film counter is electronic. perhaps it doesn't apply to my camera?
    I don't know that much about the 67II, so I don't know if that tool could be used on it. Is there a tab on the back that goes into a slot under the winding lever? Can you cock the shutter without putting film in the camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there a tab on the back that goes into a slot under the winding lever? Can you cock the shutter without putting film in the camera?
    I can't see a tab, unless its under the foam light seals, and I'm not going to go digging under those unless I have to. There is a small pin on the left side that gets depressed when the back is closed.

I don't think that the shutter can be fired without film, at least if there is a way I don't know it.

Thanks for all the quick answers!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I can't see a tab, unless its under the foam light seals, and I'm not going to go digging under those unless I have to. There is a small pin on the left side that gets depressed when the back is closed.

I don't think that the shutter can be fired without film, at least if there is a way I don't know it.

Thanks for all the quick answers!
    If it has a small pin that gets depressed, then I'm sure that replaced the tab (if there was a tab you would be able to see it because it goes into a slot in the camera).

Maybe you an answer a couple of questions for me about the 67II. Does it have a switch or button that allows you to cock the shutter without advancing the film (for doing multiple exposures)? Can you use the older 6x7 lenses on it, and if so, can you use aperture priority AE with the older lenses? I'm thinking about upgrading to a 67II eventually.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe you an answer a couple of questions for me about the 67II. Does it have a switch or button that allows you to cock the shutter without advancing the film (for doing multiple exposures)?
    Yes.

Can you use the older 6x7 lenses on it, and if so, can you use aperture priority AE with the older lenses?

Yes to both. The waist level finders form the older camera fits the 67II, but not the early metering prisims, you need the AE prisim to get the various matering paterns

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin