Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,910   Online: 895

Shooter
    Multi Format

Possibly rare Kodak? No. 2 Folding Hawk-Eye Model C

I was recently given a bunch of camera gear to pass along. Most of it wasn't very interesting, but there was a nice Kodak folder that took 120 film so I kept it as a plaything.

I've done some googling about this camera and I can't find any evidence about its existence. Of course that doesn't mean it's rare, so I'm posting here to see if anyone knows anything about it.

It's a No. 2 Folding Hawk-Eye Model C. It looks a lot like an Autographic Brownie Model C, except that it doesn't seem to take a cable release. The camera was "made in Canada by Canadian Kodak Co. Limited, Toronto, Ont.". The shutter is marked Kodo No. 0, made by Kodak Rochester. Serial number is 386xx.

The diaphragm is a simple ring that you rotate, with holes. The holes are marked 1 through 4.

I put a roll of APX 100 through it today (I only had a couple of rolls so I don't feel like getting invested in it), just to see how good it might be. It's fun enough to use. I hadn't used a rollfilm camera with the red window on the back in many years.

Does anybody know anything about these cameras?

I could post a picture tomorrow if anyone cares. I don't really have any digital gear so it would have to be a crappy picture I took with my PDA.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Pinhole
    rare, I don't know.

From my perspective, I see the Canadian ones alot less frequently, but it sounds like an ordinary one to me.

What would be rare is the bellows are still good !

Oh, I see why you run into the Canadian ones more often... :O)

If the aperture is a bare hole in front of the lens, it's likely a meniscus achromat lens.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They have a list of their old cameras here, though I'm certain it's not exhaustive. Are you sure it's a Hawkeye and not a Bulls-Eye?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's clearly a Hawk-Eye (it says so both below the lens and on the body).

The aperture is a bare hole in front of the lens alright.

The bellows are good, which surprised me too!

I don't expect this is rare (although it'd be nice!). I'm just curious about it.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Heck Jim, everything is rare and collectable on the bay. List it and be sure to state just how rare and collectable it is. Don't be afraid to stretch the truth some. After auction fees, you should have enough left over to get an RB67ProS body with lens in really good shape...
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin