Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,495   Online: 1028

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Wide lenses for Mamiya 7

I just bought a Mamiya 711 camera with 80mm lens and am already thinking about other optics. A 150mm lens seems a sure bet, but I would be interested in opinions (pros and cons) re: the 43mm and 50mm wide angle lenses.

Sandy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I don't have one but always wanted to. I have read many comments about the 150mm. lens being very difficult to focus with precision. Check that before you buy if you can. This is probably not an issue for those with large and ultra large format backgrounds.
    Them lenses are said to be jewels.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    At one time I had both but found myself using the 43 the most. Second was the 65 then the 150. The optics for this camera rank among the best I have used. Sadly I sold this camera system to get a 4x5...which I ended up selling as well. The 43 is a no brainer over the 50 IMHO. The 50 is a common wide angle and the 43 really allows you to create more interesting wide angle compositions....again, just one mans opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    quite a few people seem to suggest that the 50 is a mite better optically than the 43 and suffers less fall off (physics I know). also comes down to kit configuration. 50,80,150 is a nice combo. 43, 80, 150 kinda neccesitates the 65, which is reportedly outstanding. Many claim this to be their favourite single FL. I dont hink you can go wrong Sandy. A friends has a M7II kit and I print for him. The negs are without question the sharpest I have seen and may have a slight edge over the Bronica RF645 negs I produce, but this is hard to see as the RF645 is also outstandingly sharp. personally I am a huge fan of mild wides and would be able to live without the 43 so would go 50,65,80,150. The 50 is also appreciably cheaper than the 43 too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I own a couple mamiya 7IIs and the 65,80,150,210. I have not used the 43 or 50mm but one thing that is a factor is framing with the wide angles. The auxiliary finders that Mamiya provides for their lenses are not very good. The lenses themselves are amazingly sharp and my biggest nit is that there is no lens between the 80 and 150. The 65mm is an excellent lens. Whether you choose the 43 or 50 depends on your usual len preference, do you like really wide or super wide?

Caselton Corners, Staten Island, New York
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I've had then all, but the 65 and 150 combo is what I seem to use the most.
    Think of the combo as a 28mm-75mm zoom for 6x7.

Regards.

Bob McCarthy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I bought a new 7II a few months ago, and liked it so much I bought a second one. I ended up with the 43mm, 65mm, 80mm and the 150mm. Honestly the 43mm is very very sharp, and every bit the equal of any of the other lenses. I played with the 50mm for a while, and honestly it didnt do anything for me. I ended up selling it and buying the 43mm instead.

I dont find that the 43mm really suffers from all fall light fall of at all. The only thing about the lens i dont like is that you can only mount one filter at a time on it. Any more than that you will have some problems.

Honestly the 43mm is a no brainer over the 50mm, at least for me.

Hope it helps

Gary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think most people who have complained of fall off with the 43 are users of slide film. Should ne no worse than any 21mm or so on 35mm surely?

I would love a Mamiya 7 but my apetite outstrips the bank balance....GREAT for environmental portraits as the lenses are tack sharp wide open and scintilating (mmm, yummy) at a stop down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Sandy-

I've owned a Mamiya 7 (not II) for some years now. The 80 is, of course, a moderate wide angle for the format and contrary to usage of others, it is far and away to lens I use most. Next would be the 150 for which unforeseen uses keep popping up. Not liking 'ultra-wide-angle' perspective, the 65 is my other lens and especially in Europe, found it to perform great service.

It goes without saying that the resolution is superb.

Russ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    See this link for a few Mamiya 7 lenses and other MF optics:

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/MF_testing.html

Rgds

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin