Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,283   Online: 1105

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bronicatastrophe, depression

Hooo my.

After having some great fun and success running twenty-plus rolls through my SQ-A over the last 7 or 8 months, I now seem to have a problem. This AM, I finished off a roll of tungsten transparency film, but had to do it using the shutter release button, as the cable release wouldn't operate. It appears the threaded release socket is a bit out of alignment -- don't know if it got bumped moving equipment while a release was screwed in or what. These were long, slow exposures and I could hear the shutter closing after appropriate delays. I espect to get the film back tomorrow to better confirm that.

Later, I tried combinations of a new battery, two different backs, and two different lenses. The battery change was prompted by the shutter(s) now not appearing to function at all. Occasionally the film won't advance unless I remove and replace the back. My assumption is that some of the mysterious interlocking in the body is out of alignment and sticking or jamming, but alas, I only have the one body.

As to depression, I have reservations in upstate PA for a few days next week. We'll be staying in a picturesque historic town and I've been amassing film and maps to some nearby railroad structures and the like that I was hoping to get nice MF shots of.

Any Bronica geeks out there have any words of wisdom?

Funny, I almost bought a spare body about two weeks ago just to get a different focus screen -- but alas, I didn't (that'll teach me).

Guess I'll take my Canon A-1 and some "alternate technology" (maybe electrocuting a few bits will make me feel better). :rolleyes:

OK, thanks, just needed to vent.

DaveT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You still have time to get a spare body. KEH has them for around $100 or less, depending on condition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a similar, but not Bronica, camera and I know exactly what you are talking about. I would suggest getting another body of course. I realize that these types of cameras are going out of sight. I bought a Busch a couple of years ago in the 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 format and have four Grafmatic holders and three 120 roll holders and two dozen film holders. If and when my medium format camera is beyond use I will still have the use of a medium format camera that can be hand held. I know it's not the same but having a different platform is my backup.

I feel your pain also, I was at the valley of fire when I noticed that my 150mm lens was not working, the aperture was not functioning at all and was sticking. It never had any really heavy use so I was quite upset. I replaced it with a zoom which covers that range but with these systems anything can happen at any time. With a view type camera you can just change the lens and be back in business. There is no body to go out on you. I have one of those Calumet roll holders for my 4x5 so I can take about the largest negative with Ilford Pan 50 too. I hope you find a substitute for it so you won't miss that wonderful experience.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    ... but alas, I only have the one body.
    My problem too. I don't care about knee or hip replacements, I want a body of an 18 year old! And if I can't get one for me let me try hers.

All seriousness aside, purchasing and carrying around extra MF [or LF] bodies is a luxury that most of us cannot afford.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    All seriousness aside, purchasing and carrying around extra MF [or LF] bodies is a luxury that most of us cannot afford.

Steve
    Steve:

It depends.

I have an extra well used Mamiya 645 Super body that cost me about $100.00 CDN, and I would be happy to sell it for close to that.

Are you in the market?

The bodies, of course, are not the most expensive part of cameras like this.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Steve:

It depends.

I have an extra well used Mamiya 645 Super body that cost me about $100.00 CDN, and I would be happy to sell it for close to that.

Are you in the market?

The bodies, of course, are not the most expensive part of cameras like this.

Matt
    Will it use Hasselblad lenses? Hasselblad CX and up bodies still run $500+.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I'm pleased to report that I had a conversation with KEH this AM (I had planned to do that). I explained where I'm located and asked if I gave them a credit card number, how sure could I be of having an SQ-A body in my hot little hands by the end of the day Monday. (We're traveling early Tuesday AM.)

I then heard those magic words: "Not a problem"

So my fingers and toes are crossed. The shipping is brutal, but hey -- it's an emergency! I've already received an email with a FedEx tracking number. Taking a new piece of gear on a trip a dozen hours after receipt is not my preferred modus operandi, but what the hey. At least this is close to home. I am truly grateful this didn't happen my first day of two weeks in Italy/France/Scotland ....

I got the Fujichrome back this afternoon and it looks like the shutter was OK through the end of that roll anyway. I'm thankful for that considering what local E-6 processing is costing!

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I'm glad your problem has a solution at hand. But, what I really like is the neologism: Bronicatastrophe.....that's what makes language fun!! Good for you!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Maybe I shoulda skipped this trip!

Well, per the tracking website, FedEx rolled in early this afternoon -- I was impressed. I quickly became less impressed when I opened the box, saw a weird looking crank attachment hub, and observed that the nameplate said "SQ-Ai" as opposed to the SQ-A I ordered (the packing list said SQ-A). (The crank attachment is one of the incompatible differences between those models.)

So I went to my nearest quasi-pro shop and bought some 125PX in 35 mm (at an outrageous price), I'm gonna shoot some B&W with my A-1.

I should have known where I was headed when in a Saturday call to an historic hotel/restaurant in the little destination town I was told "I can take restaurant reservations, but you have to call on weekdays between 9 and 5 for room reservations." When I obediently called on the following Monday, I learned the hotel was "closed on the 4th for the holiday." (So we're booked into a B&B.)

I have emailed the guilty party about the body-swapping, but we're leaving 9am tomorrow, so better luck next time. Oh well -- glass half full -- I should still be grateful the problem wasn't discovered in the midst of an overseas trip.

My wife suggested assuaging my misery by buying a (*)SLR I have mentioned in the past. I actually looked at one and thought the lens might not survive the trip. I guess being most familiar with Canon FD glass has set me up for disappointment in today's world!

Well, the A-1 will be a bit easier to carry around.

Dave (grumble snort grumble) T

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The SQAi is better than the SQA, especially since it's newer and for your purposes functionally the same. I have both and prefer the SQAi. Only downside is the batterys are more expensive. I solved this problem with a motor drive handle that runs the camera on AA cells instead. Much easier to find when the old ones go down. Best part is you have more options with this body with TTL capability.
    Gary Beasley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin