Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,864   Posts: 1,583,194   Online: 785

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wanting a small backpack for my C220 with prism finder, three lenses, spot meter and ancillary stuff for the kit, I bought a Lowepro Micro Trekker 100 not realizing that it was a smaller bag than the 200 which my wife has. (I hadn't even noticed there were 2 numbered models....I just thought a Micro Trekker was a Micro Trekker.. doh!!) At first I was disappointed; I never thought the gear would fit, but after trying a number of different configurations I got it to work. Now I'm really pleased with the thing. It's by far the lightest and easiest to carry of my three outfits (PhotoTrekker for the 4x5, and Mini Trekker for the P67), and everything I need fits very comfortably. When schlepping MF and a 'pod on a hot day up a steep hill, this little array is just terrific.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Speaking of the Lowepro bags, does anyone use any of the SlingShot bags?
    Especially for a boxy medium format sort of camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Speaking of the Lowepro bags, does anyone use any of the SlingShot bags?
    Especially for a boxy medium format sort of camera?
    Funny you should ask: I ordered a SlingShot 100AW and it should arrive later today according to tracking. It sounds ideal for city shooting: we shall see. I actually bought it for my 35mm gear but I'll try my Bronica SQA gear also and see how much of it fits. The 100AW is the smallest of the three sizes so I suspect it will be a tight fit for the MF gear.

I can fit my SQA gear (camera, 3 lenses, spotmeter, filters, film, cable releases, notebook, etc, etc, etc) into a Lowepro Nova 5 shoulder bag. It's a bit heavy for comfort with that lot in so I prefer my Photo Trekker backpack if I'm going more than a few hundred yards. The SQA gear fits the Trekker with perhaps a 1/3rd space to spare (it normally houses my 5x4 gear) so I suspect a slightly smaller backpack would better address the original question.

Good luck, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cool, I'd like to hear (read) your opinion of it. I'd like something I could carry in a more balanced way than my shoulder bags. But to me, the backpacks look like they would be cumbersome if you have reason to have the camera in and out of the case. The SlingShot looks like a good compromise.

Shooter
    35mm
    www.cambags.com has reviews and specifications on hundreds of camera bags, slant toward SLR/digital but it has pictures sizes etc.
    Regards, Ed

The Netherlands, close to the Belgian border
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    (...)

I can fit my SQA gear (camera, 3 lenses, spotmeter, filters, film, cable releases, notebook, etc, etc, etc) into a Lowepro Nova 5 shoulder bag. It's a bit heavy for comfort with that lot in so I prefer my Photo Trekker backpack if I'm going more than a few hundred yards. The SQA gear fits the Trekker with perhaps a 1/3rd space to spare (it normally houses my 5x4 gear) so I suspect a slightly smaller backpack would better address the original question.

Good luck, Bob.
    I've found out that it's not that easy to find the right bag... I very much appreciate all the suggestions still coming in, but I notice it's just much more than getting the dimensions right. Just googled for the Nova 5 you suggested, but... I don't like the looks. Too "square", too "boxy" for my liking... :o

The Photo Tracker... well, that's a real backpack. I would prefer easier access to my gear. In that respect, the slingshot you mentioned looks promising! Keep us posted, if you will...

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For comparison, I have a C330S with an 80mm, 55mm and 180mm plus a Westonmaster, a paramender and a Pentax analogue Spotmeter V which all fits neatly into the main compartment of a Lowepro Nova 4 AW. Plenty of space left in the front pocket for other odds and ends, plus side pockets for film, a flap pocket for... ...erm, something or other and a comfy shoulder strap.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have found the "Tamrac Model 752 Super Photo Daypack" very comfortable. The shoulder straps keep the pack high on the back. The shoulder straps are padded and there is a cross strap high on the chest to keep the shoulder straps from sliding off. There is a waist strap that keeps the bottom of the pack from bouncing up and down against the lower back. I am able to use the waist strap to transfer the weight to the hips.

It has plenty of storage space which temps one to throw in even more equipment - like I need the extra weight. There is room for food or other non-photographic supplies.

I wrap each unused lens in a padded lens wrap with velco strips.

The upside is that the weight is evenly distributed and my back is not thrown off like a shoulder bag would do with MF equipment.
    The downside is that it is more fuss and bother to take off a pack than a shoulder bag. This solution works for me. YMMV.

I cannot give you a direct URL.

Go to tamrac.com
    Select Backpacks
    Select search by "model number, name"
    Look for model "752, Super Photo Daypack"
    That will bring you to the description and photos

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kraker View Post
    ... In that respect, the slingshot you mentioned looks promising! Keep us posted, if you will...
    The SlingShot 100AW arrived. My Eos + two zoom lenses, filters and film etc fit nicely as expected and the bag itself is nice and light. Also as expected, my SQA gear does not fit, but if I were to restrict myself to two lenses (oh, the horror!) and leave some rarely used bits behind, it could be squeezed in.

The main compartment is around 9.5" wide x 7.25" x 4.25" deep - slightly smaller than claimed on the Lowepro web site, but there is half an inch or so stretch available if one dimension is a bit small. There is room for more than ten rolls of 35mm in the top compartment and there is a front pocket of reasonable size for cable release, spare batteries, notebook etc.

In operation, it works pretty much as advertised. Worn on the back, it's comfortable (I wore it for about two hours today with the Eos installed) and, with the stabilizing strap, it does not shift about. I was a bit surprised how comfortable it was. I expected it to be much the same as carrying a normal camera bag with the strap diagonally across the chest but it is closer to the comfort of a normal backpack than that. It is right-handed only - in the sense that it is designed to go over the right shoulder only which is generally the dominant/stronger shoulder for right-handed people.

The straps use the usual type of plastic quick-release buckles. Once the stabilizing strap is released (optional in use and has a built-in pocket to stow it in when not required) the whole pack slides easily around in front of you where you can get at the zippered flap to access the camera. Unzipping it half-way allows access to the camera and unzipping a bit more allows access to the whole compartment to get at other lenses etc. Sliding it on to your lap would work nicely when sitting down on public transport. The rain cover fits well; a far better design than the cover on my Trekker, which is total Pants.

If I was intending to use one with my MF gear I would definitely look at getting the 200AW version (allegedly 11.8" x 8.7" x 5.9") or 300AW (11.8" x 11.8" x 6.5") but I'm 99% landscape and a tripod with MF so I'll stick with my Nova 5 or Trekker for that (and I suspect the 300AW might be a bit unwieldy at that size).

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very informative, thank you Bob.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin