Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,508   Online: 721

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

150mm lens for Bronica SQ-A

I would likw some advice about a 150mm lens for a Bronica SQ-A. I currently have one lens only, an 80mm standard lens. I have the chance of buying a 150mm lens (but because it is by mail-order, cannot try it out on my camera). I would like to have a telephoto lens for portrait and some landscape work, but don't know how much advantage a 150mm is over my current 80mm. If my maths is correct, a 150mm on 6x6 is equivalent (in magnification) to a 90mm on 35mm. Should I be looking for something larger, or is 150mm a good asset for portrait/landscale in medium format?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Michael
    Michael K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got the 150mm for mine and it's minimum focus is decent for portraits. I paid $66 on ebay for it. Great lens. pretty compact. i think finding a longer focal length will be more difficult as they don't seem to be as common.

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the majority of people who have a series of lenses for their Bronica 6x6 will include the 150. Its been a popular lens as the number for sale on eBay will testify. Mine has certainly seen plenty of use over the years for lansdscape/abstract use and the image quality and character are just fine. For portraits it focuses down to 1.5m (5 feet) which gives a field of about 18" sq. This is about the same as you can achieve with your 80mm at closest focus, though obviously it gets you further away from the subject. In short it will help you photograph from a better place but it won't help you get in tighter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

What about the 180mm?

You might want to look as well at the 180mm, close focus distance is 1 meter / 39 inches, angle of view comparable to a 105mm in small format.
    I faced the same dilemma with my SQB and eventually decided on the 180mm, downside is they are rarer and more expensive than 150.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want the same minimum focus and don't mind a loss of aperture the 2x teleconverter would do you well especially if you don't shoot that often. Plus when you get another lens in that range the converter will help expand that one too. A short extension tube is also handy for getting in a little closer.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the 150 is the way to go on price compared with the 180, although I've never used the 180. I did have a 200 but the minimum focus isn't very good for portrait work and the dof at minimum focus was tiny. I believe the minimum focus on the 180 was a lot closer to the 150 than the 200, so the dof shouldn't be a problem.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thankyou everyone who responded. On the basis of this I will probably run with the 150 as it is available (I am really restricted to second hand). I will also keep an eye out for the other options.

Regards
    Michael K
    Michael K

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin