Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,406   Online: 703

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooting 220 film with a type 2 Rollei TLR

I have a type 2 Rollei 2.8F TLR. I gather that this camera has the ability to use 220 as well as 120 film. There is no mention of 220 film in the Rollei manual for this camera. Is there anything that needs to be set when loading 220 film to kick-in the exposure counter to change its reading from 12 to 24 exposures? Anything else that should be set for 220? Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Gene,
    Your Rollei should have a 12/24 sign above the frame counter and the pressure plate should rotate.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You can have a 220 switch installed by Harry Fleenor at Oceanside Camera Repair. There are 2 types of 220 switch. One is just a small button installed up by the strap connection and the other is a 12/24 switch installed by the frame number window. I have been told that there is a limited number of the mechanisms necessary for the 12/24 switch left in the world. But the little button can be done.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey, thanks!!! It has neither the 12/24 sign or the rotating pressure plate. It must be a type 1 not a type 2.

The serial number is: 29532**

Any idea what the ballpark $ for conversion might run?

Cheers,

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume Zuili View Post
    Hi Gene,
    Your Rollei should have a 12/24 sign above the frame counter and the pressure plate should rotate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess you would be better off buying another one. Doesn't hurt too much...
    Best,
    Guillaume

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    IF you have a 295 series 2.8F you have the last version they made and it should have the Xenotar lens on it and the white face. It should have come set up to recieve the conversion. The back door should have two settings.. one for 35mm and the other for 6x6. If your back door doesn't have that then something is wrong. If you have an old back door on a new camera the pressure plate will not put enough pressure on the film because the spacing will be wrong. Or you might have an old camera with a newer face put on it. Do you have a picture you can post.

Harry Fleenor does the conversions and they don't cost that much if you have a really nice camera which if yours is serial number 29532xx and it is in good shape it should be. In fact putting the 220 switch on the camera can raise the value of the camera more than the cost of the switch... which I think runs something under 300 if I remember right and the cost includes a film transport overhaul. I have a 2957xxx 2.8F myself and it is a fantastic camera with a fantastic lens. I had Harry put a 12/24 switch on mine. But the back door on yours sounds wrong,
    Dennis Here is Harry Fleenor's info:

Oceanside Camera Repair
    909 Aviation Blvd. #4
    Manhattan Beach, Ca 90266
    310 374 6506 - email - harry@rolleirepairs.com
    Web site - <http://www.rolleirepairs.com/>

Harry Fleenor has over 40 years experience on Rollei camera repair including 15 years working in the factory service centers of Honeywell and Rollei of America.

Repairing Rolleiflex TLRs, (including Rolleiflex 2.8F, 3.5F, Rolleiflex 2.8E-3, 2.8E-2, 2.8E, 2.8D, 2.8C, , 2.8B, 2.8A, Rolleiflex 3.5E-3, 3.5E-2, 3.5E, 3.5, Automat X, 3.5 Automat MX, Automat MX E-V, Tele Rolleiflex, Wide-Angle Rolleiflex, Rolleicord Vb, Va, V, IV, and Rolleiflex T) Rollei SL66, Rollei 35, Rollei SL35, Rollei A110, and E110, and the Rollei SL26.
    Rollei 35 calibrated to 1.35v or 1.5v battery.
    Maxwell bright screens installed.
    220 switch installed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, Dennis! My 2.8F is exactly as you outlined: Xenotar, white face and sliding pressure plate for 35mm and 6x6. One serial number site I used listed it as a 2.8F type 4. I wasn't aware there were types 3 and 4 or what 3 and 4 mean? Sounds like a conversion is the way to go! I'll contact Harry Fleenor re the cost and turn-around time. Cheers, Gene

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin