Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,066   Online: 1000

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you're serious about the autofocus/ttl metering then look at the Pentax 645n. I've seen thousands of photographs from one of these and they offer great quality, excellent zoom lenses and handle like a big 35mm.

That said my own choice for landscape/cityscape and some close work has been 6x6 and 67 which are more manual and kind of clunky in operation but do everything I want and little I don't. My 6x6 is a Bronica and there is absolutely no reason why this brand won't work as well for you as a landscape camera as any other quality 6x6. Same with Mamiya for 67, though to be fair most slr 67 cameras are a little heavy if you plan to carry them far.

In general I think most recent MF cameras will help you make great photographs and you should choose on the basis of what format you decide on and ideally what seems to work well in the hand rather than a belief that X will make better pictures than Y.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, I like the Mamiya 645E model. Has a nice bright viewfinder that is adjustable to your eye. Also excellent auto/manual exposure metering. Excellent value for a fairly new camera. I think many on the used market haven't been used that much. I have used one for about 5 years doing landscape photography.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=David A. Goldfarb;487059]An attraction of 6x6, even if you don't shoot square, is that you can crop to a rectangle from any part of the frame. If you crop a horizontal shot from the top 2/3 of the frame, for instance, that's like having front rise on a view camera--at least for horizontals. Likewise, you can imitate view camera shift by cropping verticals from the left or right side of the frame.

A very interesting and (to me) new proposition to use pseudo movements on 6x6 by deliberatly shooting with a specific perspective correction crop in mind.
    I have a Bronica EC and ECTL and never really got used to the square format. I must try this soon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Go with the 1000s over the 645J. They are both tanks but the 1000s has a 1/1000 shutter speed as well as mirror lock up and all the finders that you might want. To save a little weight you could go with a Mamiya Super, Pro, ProTL which would also give you removeable film backs and you might even save some money. The 1000s seems to hold it's value better than the Super and Pro. Get a waist level finder, you might find that you start to prefer it over the prism finders, it also makes the camera much lighter, and has a good magnifier built in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Update:
    I passed on the two ebay auctions. Both were Adorama sales, which means they would have had something of a warranty, but in the end, neither camera had a bid. (I could have had them for $199) I decided to take the time to educate myself some more. In the mean time, I'll be doing more reading and watching the KEH pages for some gems.

I'll keep my eye on Mamiyas, Bronicas and Pentax... 645, 6X6, maybe even 6X7. We're taking a family "trip of a lifetime" Next month, so I don't want to break the bank with Hassys or the like.
    Thanks for all the advice.
    Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think my good old rb67 pro sd makes an excellent landscape camera, the extra weight is a bonus when I am up in some windy spot and the lens options are fabulous and relatively inexpensive from fisheye right up to 500mm.

As an all-round camera, I prefer the horseman VH, it is 6x9 format. Though 6x9 is only a tiny bit larger format than what the rb can do with the 6x8 back, the VH does permit the movements one sometimes needs for landscape. And it weighs substantially less than the rb! And it takes the rb rollfilm backs!

For more easily carryable landscape, my preference is the mamiya 6, or you might look at the 7 or 7ii. Those are really great and super lightweight, and will equal or exceed any of the 6x6 or 6x7 format slrs for landscape work in the superwide to short tele range.

So those are my favourite MF landscape options ranging from about $500 to about $2000. The pentax 67 would also be a definite contender in this "large MF" category.

P.S. Ah, another great cheapo option if you sometimes want pano: an old crown or speed graphic 4x5", plus a rollfilm back, e.g. 612. The crown will run you about $300 with a decent lens, and a used horseman 612 back will run you about $300 used. You can also put on a 6x7 back. And when you eventually want to, you can start off in 4x5!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If it's the trip of a lifetime, then get the camera EARLY! You need time to adjust to it, and to make sure that there are no problems. Mamiya RB 67 are selling for peanuts lately (but kind of big, bulky and heavy for a family trip). The 645 may be a good trade off between portability and negative size. Try to nab a 45mm, 150mm and maybe 210mm lens. I find the 55mm to just kind of be a blah angle, same for the 80mm. The 210mm is one of my favorites, with around the 150mm next unless I need wide angle, and then the 55mm is OK but the 45mm would be better (I don't have the 45mm, but do have the 55mm).

Keep in mind that most of these lenses will be around f4 or so.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    One of the great things about 6x6 is that you never need to turn the camera on its side for landscape or portrait.

And there certainly do seem to be plenty of affordable medium format cameras on the market. Most Japanese cameras from the 1980s that used foam seals probably will need those seals to be replaced.

If you want to dabble a bit before jumping in the market without committing to a particular system, you could always try an old folding camera. Downside: Most of these will need to be serviced.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    If it's the trip of a lifetime, then get the camera EARLY! You need time to adjust to it, and to make sure that there are no problems.
    Our trip of a lifetime is to Japan with the whole family. (my wife and I and two University-age children) With airfare from Canada, definitely not cheap. The plus side, of course, is that it is Japan after all, and with four days in Tokyo, I should be able to find a decent lens for whatever camera I decide to pick up.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    = Both were Adorama sales,
    You're in Canada? Pay close attention to Adorama's shipping to Canada :rolleyes:

I still say browse KEH. You'll have to be very lucky on Ebay to do any better once you consider price and condition.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin