Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,496   Posts: 1,543,045   Online: 862

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Lopaka;489114]I used a C3 for 20 years on weddings. This kind of work is pretty hard on cameras and it stood up to it very well. The only service issue was the film wind - had it repaired twice in 20 years. Winding a scrap roll of film through it should give you an idea. A very good camera if the price is right.
    Yes, there is a brass gear or pawl in the wind which, IIRC, mates with a steel part and the brass part was known to give up the ghost. Still, two repairs in two decades ain't bad.

BTW, I know who Joe Clark was, and what H.B.S.S. means. Ngh, ngh. (VBG)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only issue I have had with mine is the film wind. It's not bad enough to warrant sending out for repairs, just a bit of discrepancy in the spacing.

65mm is my favorite lens, then probably the 180 for environmental portraits. The 80mm is a lot of fun with a flash hooked up to the sync and mounted on a L bracket.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    With a camera as old as the Mamiya C3, you are likely to get either
    a) a camera which has been worked hard and has greater or lesser component wear or
    b) a camera which has been left lying around for quite a while and as a result may well have dried-out grease and be in need of CLA.

It's a long time since I had a C3 (I also had C330s and C330f), but at this stage in the model's history, given that spares are getting scarce, option b) is obviously preferable, so long as storage conditions have been reasonable (bad smell and moldy bellows if they weren't). All the same, I would think you wil be lucky to find one that works perfectly immediately on receipt and without a CLA. Any rubber light-trap seals I would think are certain to be gooey and in need of replacement.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, my bid was successful I couldn't check it properly before purchase in the end but the C3 body seems to be OK, as does the 180mm but the 80mm's shutter is dead. Not sure at this stage why but the cock lever feels a bit stiff in places and doesn't snap completely home when the release button is pressed. Still, I dare say it's fixable. And since I only paid a shade under £40 for the lot including a Weston Master V and a Sunpak Auto32 flash I'm not too bothered.

An even better bargain was the Contax which I really couldn't let go at ten quid! When I got the box home it contained not only the Contax RTS II plus 50/1.7, but also a Weston Master II, a Vivitar 283 flash, a Konica C35 Autofocus compact, a rather nasty looking Soligor 105mm screw-fit lens and a weird black thing with two knobs, clear and red 35mm-size glass windows, a 35mm-type spool inside, and "E.Leitz Wetzlar" written on it. I thought the latter might turn out to be my pension but a bit of googling reveals it's an "ELDIA" filmstrip copier and worth about nothing. Still, I've put a battery in the Contax and it works fine so I think it was a tenner well spent

Again, thanks to all for the hints; I shall set to work and sort the Mamiya out.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Richard,
    As we say here in the former colony of Virginia, Ya done guud. That little 35mm Leica take up spool for the pre-war Leicas is probably worth a couple of pound sterling in and of itself. IIRC, the Contax RTS was a heavy beast, but a fine camera. The Weston V (my favorite meter) in working order is worth ten pounds or so, at a minimum. It would be nice if the shutter on the 80 were easily fixable, but for many of us the 80 was the lens set used least.
    In case you think something in the viewfinder might be amiss, that red thing which intrudes as you focus closer is telling you to use nothing above its position in the viewfinder if you wish it to appear in the picture. A rudimentary parallax correction. Have fun. Were I a man with a capacity for envy, I would envy you having a C3. It was my first "real" camera back in the early 1960s.

John in Mount Vernon, Virginia, USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Richard,
    As we say here in the former colony of Virginia, Ya done guud.
    In case you think something in the viewfinder might be amiss, that red thing which intrudes as you focus closer is telling you to use nothing above its position in the viewfinder if you wish it to appear in the picture. A rudimentary parallax correction. Have fun. Were I a man with a capacity for envy, I would envy you having a C3. It was my first "real" camera back in the early 1960s.

John in Mount Vernon, Virginia, USA
    In a C3 there is no parallax correction. If you see a black line in WLF, it means you have closed off the baffle to change lens. It will let you photograph in this condition. The prints just come out blank. My C220 has a red line, much more noticeable.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Hi John

There is a strip of red plastic on a pivot just above the mirror, but it doesn't appear to do anything. It doesn't move with the focus, so I suppose it must be faulty. I've run a roll of film through the beast this afternoon and the wind-on etc all seems to work; all I need to do is develop the film to find out for certain!

Can anyone recommend a Mamiya service agent in the UK, ideally in the north of England? A CLA is in order at least.
    Last edited by RH Designs; 07-07-2007 at 04:24 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added "of England" to "the north"
    Regards,
    Richard.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi, when I last looked, the official Mamiya service agent was Johnson Photopia, but my preferred repair service is:

Newton Ellis & Co
    29 Cheapside
    Liverpool
    L2 2DY
    Tel. 0151 236 1391

I have sent many cameras to them, including tricky cases such as a Retina Reflex and several Leica R3s, I am sure they can handle your Mamiya with no problem.

Best regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
    Hi John

There is a strip of red plastic on a pivot just above the mirror, but it doesn't appear to do anything. It doesn't move with the focus, so I suppose it must be faulty. I've run a roll of film through the beast this afternoon (...)
    The red thingy is to remind you that the "lens change knob" is in the unlocked position. If that was showing when you ran the roll of film through it, you will end up with 0 exposed negatives (or positives, as the case may be)...

That's all the red plastic does. As to parallax correction; on the C3 it's very rudimentary: all you get are the two lines in the ground glass representing 1.5x and 2x exposure compensation (see range near the left focussing knob to know which range you are in). Make sure your subject is below those lines and you should be OK.

Well, really, Graham has already posted the link; check out his Mamiya TLR summary - without a doubt the most informative site on the subject!

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David - thanks for the repairer info, I'll give them a call.

Kraker - on further investigation last night I discovered that the red flag does indeed move with the lens lock knob, thanks. I can see possible parallax troubles until I get used to the thing as apart from 35mm SLRs my only other camera is a Mamiya 6MF which has correction built into the VF ...

Graham - I've already found some nuggets in your amazingly exhaustive study and will read a lot more of it. Kraker is right
    Regards,
    Richard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin