Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,270   Posts: 1,534,449   Online: 998

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

hasselblad distagon 50 4.0 question

Hi,

im quite new to hasselblad and searching for a 50mm lens for my new 500cm.

Is there a big difference in quality between the black *T lens and the newer CF *T lens? The black lens is around $400 and the cf lens around $700.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I believe the only difference is the CF are newer style lenses and the bay mount is bigger, 60 versus 50, which when buying filter just buy a bay mount adapter ring and your set.. I used to own the T* ( chrome ones ) and now the CF because I wanted to have all the same bay mount.

Kev

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Optically no. I'm sure the specs on the lens will contradict me on that, but any difference on paper will not show up on film.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    Optically no. I'm sure the specs on the lens will contradict me on that, but any difference on paper will not show up on film.
    No, there is an optical difference. The C lenses have a single layer of optical coating and the CF lenses have the T* multiple layers of coating. The contrast is better on the CF and the flare rejection on the CF lenses is better. While a lens hood will help cut down the flare on the C lenses there will still be more flare. Put the lens hood on the CF lenses and the flare reduction is even better.

As noted the C lenses have a Bay-50 filter size and the CF lenses have a Bay-60 lens size. If all your lenses are CF then you only need one polarizing filter for all most all the CF lenses [40mm lens is excluded for one]. Bay-60 filters can be hard to find, but Bay-50 filters are even harder to find.

I recently purchased a Hasselblad with the 50mm, 80mm and 250mm CF lenses. I am considering getting the 150mm CF lens. I will only purchase the CF lenses because I can see the difference.

Beware that the chrome lenses have not been made for years and some of the parts are no longer available. Chrome lenses therefore have been rendered unfixable for the most part. 50th anniversary Chrome lenses excepted.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These lenses are identical otical design wise. I think the only difference is the hood / filter dimension as already stated. The 50mm Distagon lens design stays the same until the FLE version comes along. It is supposed to be higher quality. Even then, it would require a lab to determine differences.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Eh, the earlier C-style 50mm Distagons had used Series 63 filters. They are not bayonet filters but are set inside a special filter ring or the hood. The same filter size was also used with the SWC cameras until they also standardized on the Bay60 filters.
    Second, in general chrome C lenses doesn't have multicoating, i.e. T*, while the black C lenses does have T* coating. (There are exceptions, but they are very few, read "expensive" as in collectors items.)
    What is more important than optical performance when it comes to choosing in between a C lens and a CF lens is that spare parts for the shutters on the older C lenses are running out.
    If you buy an older C lens it is important to first check that all the times are correct and then to excersise the shutters every month. (E.g.: Today is the 25'th so it's shutter excersise day. Oh yeah, it's payday too. :-) (In Sweden paycheck days are normally once a month, on the 25'th.) )

//Bj÷rn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the clarification and the shutter discussion.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

mcd

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Hasselblad 50mm

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Jan View Post
    Hi,

im quite new to hasselblad and searching for a 50mm lens for my new 500cm.

Is there a big difference in quality between the black *T lens and the newer CF *T lens? The black lens is around $400 and the cf lens around $700.

Careful here. There are two versions of the 50mm lens, the later having floating elements that are adjusted per focus distance using a separate ring. This version (which I have) is reputed to be superior for close focusing. I have heard that the earlier one is fantastic also, so your mileage may vary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are indeed C versions with T* coating, which is the kind I own.

I have no complaints about that lens. It's magnificent. There's a very small amount of light falloff in the corners when shooting wide open with it, but it actually looks pretty nifty on some pictures. Stopping down to f/5.6 or f/8 gets rid of it.

Otherwise it's sharp as a razor, and it's a nice, versatile wide angle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 74937621.jpg  
    Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Parts are no longer available for the C lenses. It's worth the extra money for the CF in case something where to happen to the lens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin