Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,487   Posts: 1,571,318   Online: 853

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

buying new medium camera - need advice

Hi all.

Im on the lookout for a medium format camera. For about a year now ive used a flexaret 4, and this has worked very very well for me. beutiful photos in 6x6. Now Ive decided to upgrade. I need something a bit more versatile. Something that fits a standard tripod, hehe. Some of the things I want is:

+ Fits on a standard tripod

+ Spotmetering

+ Interchangeble backs (im doing 6x6 mostly btw)

+ The ability to add a remote release

+ Interchangeble lenses

well, thats some of the most important stuff... Can anything be surggested?

Its a jungle out there. hehe. Hope some of you APUGers can guide me through.

Got aprox. 800-900 us dollars to use at the most

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

TLR is a consideration at your price point

I have a lot of fun with my Mamiya system. I have a 330F body, and a 65, 80 and 180 lens.

It fits the standard tripod, if it is beefy enough.

As to your desire for interchangeable backs, the Mamiya way I am about to embark on is to pick up an older Mamiya TLR body only, Thius will allow me to keep it loaded with B&W, with the 330f more loaded with C-41.

For metering I have a old but still reliable pentax spotmeter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Doesn't the Flexart take a normal 3/8" tripod screw?

Metering is the only part that seems an issue. If you're willing to use a handheld meter you can pick almost anything and get the rest. If you need a built in meter maybe the Bronica SQAI with the metering prism? I forget if that has spot metering or not. The Mamiya RZ can also mount a metering prism.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Surely the C330 is the finest MF camera available to humanity?The lenses are pukka and the whole system is cheap-a winner IMO, though no spotmetering. Rollei 6000 series cameras have built in spotmetering IIRC,though a C330 would leave a decent amount of spare wedge for a separate spotmeter.YMMV
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ive been looking alot at the Mamiya RZ67 (II) pro. I think this is a really lovely camera, and judging on the many positive reviews on the internet I think it is really versatile. Any experiences with this camera anyone?

The C330 looks nice Black Dog - But I think im looking for some SLR.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If 6x4.5 meets your criteria, I'd suggest a Mamiya 645 Pro or Pro Tl. With the right metering prism, it will meet all your criteria. The Mamiya 645 Super bodies are cheaper, but they are older, and not as robust (as a backup body they work well).

The older versions of the Mamiya 645 don't offer interchangeable backs, nor does the more recent 645E.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    RB67.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Catton View Post
    Ive been looking alot at the Mamiya RZ67 (II) pro. I think this is a really lovely camera, and judging on the many positive reviews on the internet I think it is really versatile. Any experiences with this camera anyone?
    If you have a strong back love it Not the sort of thing I'd consider a quick snap shot handheld camera but on a tripod it's pretty close to perfect. If you stick with the waist level finder I think you can get a body,back and a couple of lenses within your budget. But it is big so don't be surprised.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I have the Mamiya 645AFd system, and love it, because they are dirt cheap on eBay, as is both the autofocus and manual focus glass. If you don't plan on using a digital back, and you can tolerate the slower autofocus servo, then you can pick up the older 645AF kit (body, back, 80mm AF lens) for about $500. Extra 120/220 film backs can be has all day for under a hundred bucks; and extra cassettes (for fast film changes) run about $40.

[A used 645AFd kit (2002-2005) will set you back about $900; while the faster 645AFd II kit is $3k at B&H as of yesterday -- You won't find many used ones on eBay.]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ive tried the Mamiya RZ67 Pro and I like the fact that its big and bulky. Is it possible to shoot 6x6 or 6X4.something with this one?

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin