Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,193   Online: 1113

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After seeing/playing with David's RB I think they are a *GREAT* system for someone who wants sharp lenses and bellows focusing on roll film. Quite heavy and one could could go with a 4x5 & roll film back cheaper, but that's not everybody's style. Definitely a pro camera.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I sold my RZ when the 2nd hand prices started to drop. But I kinda wish I still had it. It was a bit heavy to carry around, but was absolutely reliable, rock solid and a dream to use. It's build quality was A1. I've had more reliability problems with my Leica MP (two factory repairs) than I had with my RZ (no issues whatsoever). While I wasn't a pro, the RZ was definitely a pro camera ;-)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    If you've been shooting 4x5 for a few months, you've already grown accustomed to checking to see if the dark slide is out, so the Mamiya should be good for you in that regard.
    If you're considering something really solid for 4x5 in the field, look at a B&J press camera. Cheaper than a Speed Graphic and instead of wood, it's got a metal body suitable for chauking a medium-sized jet or stopping small-arms fire. I carted mine 1/4 the way around the world partly because it won't fall apart no matter what. You certainly lose some movements compared to a field camera, but think about how much movement you'll need and let that be your guide.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_in_Kyiv View Post
    ... If you've been shooting 4x5 for a few months, you've already grown accustomed to checking to see if the dark slide is out, so the Mamiya should be good for you in that regard.
    Damn those pesky darkslides

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I bought an RB after shooting a 4x5 Super Graphic and Crown Graphic thinking it would be more portable and faster/easier to use. :rolleyes: I'm back to a Crown now in the 3x4 format, with a Kalart, and I like the somewhat smaller body over the 4x5's and double the neg size over the 6x7. Get a cheap 4x5 Crown Graphic and continue on. If you buy the RB and don't like it, getting your money out of it to re-invest is much harder nowadays.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The RB is a really great camera. In the end the lack of movements (tilt) forced me to get a view camera which I now use the with the backs from the RB. If you can live with no movements and the weight go for it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel-OB View Post
    Caffecarar
    67 mamiya used for pro work will make you cry or even business to fail.
    Daniel. In the case of this particular thread's originator, what you have said above probably doesn't matter but if I were seeking advice on any matter, especially if I had little knowledge and was a newcomer to APUG then I'd find such a statement unsettling and unhelpful and might not bother again.

OK most of us have seen your two other threads on the 67 Mamiya and can work out why you've made such a statement but it seems to me that any thread originator deserves more help.

I am not asking that you repeat your complaints, in fact quite the opposite, but at least make reference to whatever thread there was in which you gave your reasons for your position so the originator can decide on the validity of your statement for him or herself.

I'll make you a promise in return. If ever you ask for advice on any matter, I promise that if my advice to you is very negative I will first of all consider if my position is fully justified and if it is, then take the trouble to fully explain why I have taken that position.

As APUG members,each of us deserve no less from each other

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel-OB View Post
    Caffecarar
    67 mamiya used for pro work will make you cry or even business to fail.
    Daniel,
    I've refrained from commenting until now.

The reality is that the RB/RZ family is stout and rugged. The first time I shot with RB's, I had a commercial studio, 4 photographers and several outfits, all bought brand new at astronomical prices, they all paid for themselves within 3 months, and made way more money than I could have imagined. Your situation is unusual, and signifies something very, very wrong with your camera. I liken it to having a new car, leaving the parking brake on because the light didnt' come on, and blaming the car for destroying the rear brakes. Plain and simple operator error.

I no longer shoot vocationally, by choice and when it came time to get an MF system, the RB was the natural choice. (followed by a hassy for hiking an more "portable" use.)

I understand heat of the moment, but really, are you that unfamiliar with the camera that you don't have that checklist ingrained in your head? Even my wife knows to check for the darkslide, and she's no photographer, but she's been around my RB's and LF format cameras the last 2 years and has watched me over and over, going over the checklist mentally.

erie patsellis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also I might add, if you are truly a pro, do what most pros do, use an assistant, to handle all those "pesky" little details like darkslides, lighting ratios and such, allowing you to focus on the image.

I don't know you from Adam, but your postings and attitude sure scream to me of a person who enjoys photography as a hobby, and gets the occiasional job, not a professional who's expertise and familiarity with the technical and aesthetic aspects is of a level that commands respect from fellow photographers.

erie patsellis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I was just about to pipe in about Daniel-OB comments, but it seems as though others have said it already. I let the first two threads regarding the so called 'un-professional' nature of the RZ pass me by, but the comments made on here are just unhelpful.

I own 3 RZ's and have had a few minor problems with them over the years, but on the whole they are the best cameras i have owned. IF you have problems with the darkslide send it back to mamiya it should not do that, but i think most of us have heard enough about your problem with this camera.
    Last edited by Davec101; 08-28-2007 at 02:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin