Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,762   Online: 858

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    After looking at the other threads he started (e.g. "how do I use my light meter?" and "how big is a big portrait?"), I wonder why I and so many others took his puerile outburst so seriously. Shall we let the troll go back to sleep and answer the OP's question?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
    Also I might add, if you are truly a pro, do what most pros do, use an assistant, to handle all those "pesky" little details like darkslides, lighting ratios and such, allowing you to focus on the image.

I don't know you from Adam, but your postings and attitude sure scream to me of a person who enjoys photography as a hobby, and gets the occiasional job, not a professional who's expertise and familiarity with the technical and aesthetic aspects is of a level that commands respect from fellow photographers.

erie patsellis
    Hear ! Hear! Very well said!

There are 8-10 pages of debate on this "What is a pro Medium Format camera" issue on another thread... chew on it over there and help the originator of this thread with constructive suggestions instead of meaningless drivel and carping ...

" Be happy. Take a silver break today !!!"
    MP_Wayne

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cafeharrar View Post
    I've been shooting 4x5 for a few months now ...

I'm having extremely conflicting feelings about this, and wish I could afford to keep and use both. Anyone care to chime in and help me decide which direction to go in?

Thanks again,

- Justin
    I was in your position about 2 years ago, but not really perhaps quite so uncertain about 4x5. An APUGer, Eric Rose, (who got me into 4x5 4 years ago thereby starting my own private insanity), thought I would like the RB67 system for Medium Format (Eric also likes to help separate me from my meagre money - LOL!), but in all fairness to him, I have not looked back with any regret on either path (4x5 or MF).

I started, humbly with an RB67 and a couple of lenses, which has since grown into more bodies and lenses - and I love using all of it!

However, I still kept (and grew) my 4x5 stuff because I very much enjoy using that too. They are two completely different styles of photography for which there is some overlap, but not 100% overlap.

There are some days/locales/subjects when I want to shoot 4x5, and other days when I don't want the bother, but I still want superb negs. The Mamiya RB67 Medium Format stuff fills that requirement. The main thing is that I am shooting something !! (now I sound like a gun toting Elmer Fudd - sorry about that)...

In reading your initial post - you want some of the things in both LF and MF - for example, convenience (MF), simplicity of film loading (MF), yet movements (LF). In my case, I did not want to decide, nor was I really interested in deciding - so I adopted both formats...

Now the challenge is to carve enough time to do both... What a predicament... double the equipment, so the need for double the time to make photographs! Oh well, we all have private struggles to endure (LOL)...

Perhaps the best approach is to rent/try out some MF equipment for a while? As cited in many other threads, there is a HUGE LOT of good quality used MF equipment out there, so there is no need to panic buy... Perhaps with using both formats for a while, and some time moving back and forth between the two, you can decide which direction you want to proceed (including perhaps both directions)...

Ultimately, whatever you choose is great if it gets you out working on your art...the equipment is just the means to your artistic ends...

Best of luck!

" Be happy. Take a silver break today !!!"
    MP_Wayne

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin