Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,717   Posts: 1,514,809   Online: 822

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mint Agfa Record II Value/Quality

Hey!

I found a very, very nice Agfa Record II at a fleamarket today, but the ones I have spoken to so far tell me that it isn't worth much as a shooting camera OR as a object for sale. Anyone got experiences with this camera at all?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It all depends on the lens and shutters used and there condition. Prices vary a lot.

The bellows material on Agfas did not survive well and often have to be replaced, or patched on the inside.

Check out www.certo6.com

Folders are addictive; have fun
    "There are two ways to avoid most trouble in life: live below your means... and within your seams."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    It all depends on the lens and shutters used and there condition. Prices vary a lot.

The bellows material on Agfas did not survive well and often have to be replaced, or patched on the inside.

Check out www.certo6.com

Folders are addictive; have fun
    Thanks for your reply!

The camera looks almost 100% unused, example pictures is at http://folk.uio.no/ulrikft/6x9 I'm going to buy some bw film on Monday, shoot a roll or two to test it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ulrikft View Post
    The camera looks almost 100% unused, example pictures is at
    I have the exact same model. Stop the Apotar well down and have fun. It's quite capable. But don't expect anything a TLR with a Tessar-type lens and good technique would deliver. The cooke-type lens has a bit less resolution and a different footprint.

best

Stefan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One other issue (besides bellows) to watch with the Agfas is the original green grease used to lube the focusing threads. This tends to solidify and you may be moving the entire lens rather than just the front element when you try to focus. This is also relatively easily repaired, but requires patience and some solvent.

After a CLA and bellows fix, Agfa folder performance can be very good.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by skahde View Post
    I have the exact same model. Stop the Apotar well down and have fun. It's quite capable. But don't expect anything a TLR with a Tessar-type lens and good technique would deliver. The cooke-type lens has a bit less resolution and a different footprint.

best

Stefan

Thanks for your answer! I have a SLR (Bronica) coming in next week, I'm going to use that as my main MF camera. But when I saw this at a fleemarket in great condition and for almost nothing, I had to get it. A quick question: if you got this one, this might be a stupid question, but how do you set iso-speed...?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    One other issue (besides bellows) to watch with the Agfas is the original green grease used to lube the focusing threads. This tends to solidify and you may be moving the entire lens rather than just the front element when you try to focus. This is also relatively easily repaired, but requires patience and some solvent.

After a CLA and bellows fix, Agfa folder performance can be very good.

Lee
    Thanks for the heads up! The focus is a bit hard/slow, I'll try to see what I can do about that!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ulrikft View Post
    but how do you set iso-speed...?
    ISO-Speeds are set on meters. This is a meterless camera, hence no ISO-setting. You could use a handheld meter or use the rule of the sunny-16. If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

best

Stefan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin