Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,886   Online: 1159

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

1950 Rolleiflex bargain?

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1950 Rolleiflex Automat (3.5 Tessar lens, Synchro-Compur shutter) in "working order" for $50CDN.
    What do you think?

---edit---
    there is a 35mm film adapter included in the package.
    Last edited by Toffle; 08-25-2007 at 06:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Images
    If it's truely in 'working order', then it's a deal. Even at that price, you can afford to have a CLA and still come out ahead.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    I have an opportunity to purchase a 1950 Rolleiflex Automat (3.5 Tessar lens, Synchro-Compur shutter) in "working order" for $50CDN.
    What do you think?
    If you can afford it as 'fun money', what is there to lose?

As a principal camera, I'd be more hesitant, but even then, if you don't like it and sell it on, you'll see most or all of your money back.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    If you can afford it as 'fun money', what is there to lose?

As a principal camera, I'd be more hesitant, but even then, if you don't like it and sell it on, you'll see most or all of your money back.
    This is pretty much what I'm thinking. I alternately use a Nikon N80 and a Bronica GS1 as my main camera, (I can't make up my mind) and I've been waffling over Yashica-Mats on ebay that always seem to be more than I want to pay. I'm thinking that a 50+ year old Rolleiflex is still better than a Yashica half that age.
    Last edited by Toffle; 08-25-2007 at 08:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    I'm thinking that a 50+ year old Rolleiflex is still better than a Yashica half that age.
    I'd disagree with that statement, but then again "better" is a very subjective term when it comes to cameras.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I'd disagree with that statement, but then again "better" is a very subjective term when it comes to cameras.
    Fair enough; I am keeping an eye on a couple of 124s while I'm waiting to see if the Rolleiflex pans out. In truth, I've done a lot more research on those; this Rolleiflex opportunity just fell in my lap today. (I didn't think I'd be able to afford one this summer... kinda broke the piggy bank on a family vacation.) For now, I'm trying to keep an open mind and educating myself as best I can.

Cheers, I appreciate the input.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one from 1953. They are great cameras capable of results as good as any comparable camera. On issue, though, will be the ground glass. The original ones are very dim. Until I replaced it with a modern bright groundglass/fresnel screen, I had trouble using it. In effect, I had to use something similar to a darkcloth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two Yashicas, a D with Yashinons, and an A with Yashikors. Both excellent cameras. I inherited a Rolleiflex T a few years ago, and spent $200 on a full-through CLA. The Yashicas don't get much use now. Of all the MF gear I have(four different systems), the Rollei gets the most use.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    at the price of 50 dollars canadian I would buy it for living room sculpture. As long as it works you can at least double your money selling it in ebay. You can't afford not to buy it. Then there is the great chance that you will love it and it will change your photographic life. I am a great believer in things that fall in my lap. Life is like that.
    Dennis Purdy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, that didn't work out. I just got an email that it's sold to someone else. It's too bad, I was starting to get my hopes up. I kind of had the feeling that I wasn't the first person in line. Oh well, I'll keep my eyes and ears open. It's not like I don't have gear to work with.

Cheers,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin